Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build - Differential and Prop Shaft

c7jhc

Next stage in my Roadsport build is to install the differential. Two questions...

1. Should I attach the prop before I install it (build manual suggests attaching after installing the diff - but have seen a build diary where it was attached before diff installation).

2. My car is on trestles - any cunning methods of getting the diff in position? Tried lying on my back and extending my arms but short by about 10 cm. Prefer not to lower car onto

axle stands if possible. Thinking about putting the jack on some sort of platform. Any thoughts?

1. No but fit it loosely in the tunnel first.

2. Difficult to comment without seeing what you have to hand but safety should be highest priority when you are under the car. I used trolley jack but built mine on stands.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Get someone to help you with the diff, it's definitely a 2 person job as you need to spend some time getting it centralised using various washers.

Do the propshaft afterwards.

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

guessing you have an engine crane for inserting of said engine.

i would be tempted to make sure front trestle is secure and then pick up rear of car and then a have a nice support for diff and then lower car onto diff.

The happy handle made me do it

Lay the propshaft into the tunnel. Take out the plywood boot floor and sling the diff through the boot. Sling the diff with two straps one around the nose and one arround the body ensuring that it is balanced, level and that body sling can't slip. Lift with engine crane until the flange aligns with the tunnel. Pack the diff at this height temporarily. Re-sling the nose through the rear of the tunnel, gradually lift moving the nose forward into the tunnel until you can get the top mountings aligned.

Good luck with the spacers and top bolt!

I agree with MorganMan. It's how I fitted my diff, solo. I managed to use one sling made from rope, though now I can't remember where I slung it from - possibly with the rope loop around the nose piece and through the lower mount. Pushed a 1/2" drive bar through the upper mount when lined-up and then let it hang.

Vital to ensure bolt holes and threads are clear with it still on the bench 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

*smile* Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time with the diff on the bench. I have carefully test threaded the lower bolts into the diff using copperslip. I had read stories of cross threading and wanted to avoid that if possible. The top bolt wouldn't go in initially but I spent yet more time carefully easing it in using clockwise and anticlockwise action. Took a while but all is now well. Just got to fit it now! Using the engine hoist sounds a good plan.