Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sony camcorder - video transfer by memory stick?

not a Postman Pat

I am considering getting video logging as an add-on to my Stack data logging. Speaking to the Stack guy, he recommended getting a Sony camcorder that allowed video transfer to the PC by memory stick (rather than conventional real-time download).

I am slightly confused, as I thought the memory stick could only really be used for still images, and I am surprised that you can transfer, say, an hour's video recording by way of memory stick.

Can anyone confirm that this can be achieved, and if so what models allow it? What size memory stick would be needed (and I assume it is the Sony Memory Stick Pro)?

Finally, the camcorder also needs a LANC input, although I gather most Sony models have that.

Thanks *wink*

Poopoo-san and his not quite black and white cat

I've got an HC40E (I think!), and agree with Dobuy - I'm pretty sure the Memory Stick transfer is for stills and video clip type movies. Full quality DV video needs masses of storage.

DV camcorders use Firewire/IEE£1394/i.Link (all the same thing) to transfer, so you may need to upgrade your PC to add the interface. These are now very cheap.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 6000 miles completed!

Pat.

I've a Sony PC120 E with memory stick. On this you can do stills/video either way. IE memory stick to DV tape or the other way around. However any video that ends up on the memory stick is V. highly compressed. I don't think it would suit your purpose. I could e mail you a clip from the MS if it would help to let you judge the level of quality. The other problem, certainly on my camera is that MPEG movies can only be a maximum of 15 seconds long.

Hope this helps. Dave.

size? massive!! My new Sony P200 camera (photo) can also take video onto a memory stick - for best quality (which is actually pretty good) you have to use Memory Stick Pro - and at that level a 1GB stick would take about 20 minutes video I think.

Big update!

here

80,000miles in 3 years plus

Check the max size of Memory Stick the camera can use though - my video camera accepts up to 512Mb only...

My Canon digital camera works with any size, although using a hard disk based MicroDrive eats the battery *eek*

See some pictures of the build here. 6000 miles completed!

Yes, the newer Sony MiniDv camcorders (eg PC350E which replaced the 120) can record MPEG1 to the memorystick. And will take Memorystick PRO as you say. Sandisk now produce a 2Gb memorystick, at around £150.

Transfering by firewire from MiniDV is still the best way, as the picture quality will be better. But you don't always need to grab the whole lot, quite a few of the av editing software packages will allow you to quickly grab a lower quality version of you video, edit it, and then automatically it will go back and get just the bits you want. Alternatively you can use scene detection software such as Scenelyser. This takes about 5 minutes for an hours tape.

The (slow) birth of the Gixxerham : Pics here now with extra drivel here

Thanks peeps *wink*

My current camcorder (Canon) uses firewire. The trouble is that it transfers real-time. What I want to do is transfer the video and data to the PC in between each test session, and then discuss the results with my instructor before the next session. Doing that real-time will leave no time for analysis.

Stack do have an alternative, which is a DVR. However, the price is £3,500 plus VAT - before you pay for any memory *eek* *eek* *eek* *eek*

I shall have to go back to Stack and see how he sees the Memory Stick thing working.

Ah - I was typing while you posted, Noger *wink*

I will find out if it is MPEG1 to 2GB stick that they are talking about. I don't think I can use the software editing workaround, as the tape has various markers, etc added to it so the software can marry up the Stack data and the video when it is transferred to the data analysis software on the PC. However, I will ask them *thumbup*

Edited by - (not a) Postman Pat on 20 May 2005 10:02:55