Click here if you are having website access problems ×

solid diff?

Beej

Can someone tell me just how limited the limited slip should be on a limited slip diff!! Put it this way, if you jack the back of my ex Vx racer up and turn one wheel, you cannot stop the other one from moving.. it doesn't slip at all, not even a little tiny bit.. Its as though the diff is locked up solid. BUT, either I could teach Kimi a thing or two about car control or somehow this isn't noticeable when driving. I am completely confused. Can someone reassure me that they all do that?

Help.

don't worry, they all do that sir!

LSD as says 'limeted slip' for a car to go around a corner the inner wheel must travel slower than the outer wheel, as it has less distance to travel. in an 'open' diff, the power is free to go to either wheel,,but as the out side is more loaded in a corner then it is easier to turn the inner wheel so all the power will go to this wheel and spin 😬 not so good for traction. With a LSD, of which there are a few types, quaife ATB, AP suretrac, or Plate type.(ZF in CAterhams) then what happens is that due to the internal workings of the diff, is resists the tendancy to let the inner wheel turn more slowly, thereby allowing more power to be fed to the outer wheel, thus more traction. with the quiafe and suretrack they wil never 'lockup' so the power is juggled between each wheel, with the plate diff, then as the wheel inner wheel tries to slow down and power is fed in, then the plates move up the ramps and 'lock up ' so the rear axel becomes effectivly fixed. now don't ask me to explain the full workings in detail of each diff cause I don't know. Hope this helps.

sorry did not read original post properly, and have just typed the above for no reason. 😳

To buy an R400 or CSR200?MMM. WHich to choose. Or do I stick with the VX?

Edited by - Gambo on 17 May 2005 08:05:59

Thanks for your replies..

1. Myles. yes with no load on either wheel, axle in the air, propshaft disconnected, if you spin one wheel, the other will turn (in the same direction of course). If you try and stop the other one from moving, you can't - the two wheels are locked together.

2. Gambo. If my car has a ZF plate type LSD (how can I tell?) then am I right in thinking that in no load situations such as one I have described above, the plates will immediately rise up the ramps and lock the axle solid? If so, I have nothing to worry about. Even so, I am surprised that with somebody at each wheel (ie putting some load across the axle) we cannot induce any slip whatsoever. Is that correct?

don't worry, they all do that sir!

beej, It depends on the preload that is in you diff. I cannot stop mine from turning together on my Zf. You should not try to turn one without the other because it can damage them. worth telling the MOT station you have one for when they do the brake test.

To buy an R400 or CSR200?MMM. WHich to choose. Or do I stick with the VX?

• Area Representative

The ZF type diff will also have a significant preload on the clutch pack in the LSD - A rest, a torque of somewhere in the range 30-60 ft/lbs will be needed to make the clutch slip.

The lower end of this preload is better for a light car like ours. Too much preload leads to increased understeer, as the rear wheels dont want to go round corners.

• Area Representative

Gambo,

Try jacking up one side of the car whilst chocking the other side - you'll find the diff will start to slip somwhere in the 30-70 ft/lbs range.

edited to say:- doing this won't cause any damage.

Edited by - Richard Price on 17 May 2005 10:23:08