Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Another (Raceline) Duratec hits the Rollers

MikeE

I was speaking to Raceline today about their new "250 BHP" Duratec conversion. Apparently their first engine (fitted to a Westfield) has just come back from the ECU mapping rolling road session where it made 262bhp and 190ft lb torque at 7,600 RPM which are pretty impressive figures particularly for a 2.0 litre *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Apparently this engine is my cooking 226bhp spec plus the following:

- forged rods,

- forged pistons,

- ported head,

- custom high lift cams (not sure of the duration but nothing too extreme apparently - they were designed to improve power without having to rev to silly numbers).

- new ECU map.

and that's it.

Apparently this engine has the low down torque characteristics of the 2.3l (although obviously a little less so) but revs much more freely and really comes alive above 5,000rpm - and of course being a 2.0l it is also easier to fit into a 7 and lighter than a 2.3l *thumbup*

Can't wait to try this engine once they fit it in a Caterham *wink*

So next winter I'll be choosing between a 2.3l full engine transplant or a 226bhp *arrowright*260bhp+ 2.0l conversion 🤔

cheers

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

Edited by - MikeE on 12 May 2005 15:53:08

That's a coincidence, I just spoke to Chris and he was telling me about the very same engine. I took mine out last night for it's first run in the dry and bejaysus it's bloody frightening on those sh1te tyres supplied by Caterham. 😬

Last time I drove it was in the rain back from CC and I put the continual wheelspin down to the conditions but last night proved me completely wrong. *eek*

I am still taking it easy but last night I was getting wheelspin in 3rd gear, without trying, whilst accelerating on the straight. *eek* *eek* *eek*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV NII OAW

R 417.39 😬

Hi

My little 220bhp 2 litre Raceline lump was spinning the wheels in all gears up to 4th down the main straight at Croft on a wet day. Spectators couldn't understand why my car was wagging its tail and none of the other were. Tad worrying at times but good fun 😬

Brilliant engine... now the obvious question.. How much for the 262 - sorry I mean 250BHP upgrade???

One of the Duratectives

Ian,

Raceline are about to do an upgrade for one of their Caterham customers and once they have they'll have a package price available. Once I know I'll forward the infor on to you.

I think you can probably complete the upgrade with the engine in situ so that should save a lot of hassle/money.

cheers

Mike

It is just about possible to upgrade the engine in situ. Much, much easier with the engine out of the car though.

Both the 2 litre and the 2.3 have the potential to make the same bhp but at different rpm and with different torque.

AMMO

Brent,

Yes actually he did say next Monday, he did them tell me his was busy next week, then on holiday the week after so it'll have to slip into June *smile*

Have you seen his car recently? I saw the chassis with suspension yesterday and apparently the body's being made at the moment, it looks like it could be really special *thumbup*

He was panelling the chassis when I was there about 3 weeks ago working on my car before Peter took it to Webcon to get it running properly. Turned out they had mistakenly installed a map of the London undergound into the ECU. 😬

His car certainly looks well made doesn't it, with a lot of thought which had gone into the design. *thumbup* I can't wait to see it complete.............in the next few years 😬 *tongue*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV NII OAW

R 417.39 😬

Mike Any news for me????

Now should I upgade the engine or buy Peters new car *wink*

Re tyres: I have 021's and must admit grip is excellent, with 13" and the tyres streched on (can't remember the sizes), very hard to wheel spin at below 4000rpm or ordinary driving (for a se7en I mean 😬). The grip is so superior to my last 1.6 std k that it always surprises me, almost disapointing *wink*

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon