Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pwerspeed 4-2-1 How can I make it quieter?

Grubbster

Roadsport 140 with Powerspeed 4-2-1 (just fitted) - failed the noise test at Donington (it passed fine with standard exhaust). I can reinstall with more sealant in case there are any leaks, but is it worth adding more packing? Any other ideas?

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

Edited by - grubbster on 1 May 2005 13:44:25

CTV - it is the same system as yours, does yours seem loud? Mine certainly seems loud when driving it. I may have a bit of a leak from the collector, I'll pull it to bits again and resael it, ss if it makes a difference.

Grubbster

Mine's not yet been noise tested (though I'm at Cadwell on Tuesday 😬). I have a 1.6 133bhp Supersport and, with the Powerspeed exhaust, it 'seems' quieter. Saying that, it is a deeper sound and I believe the ear has more trouble with low frequencies (I think *confused*) so it might indeed register louder on a noise meter than you think.

Dave at Powerspeed was telling me, though, that he's fitted the exhaust on everything up to an R500 and had no problems with noise levels. I'd strongly recommend speaking to him as there might be a problem with your exhaust. It would be very unusual that the Powerspeed exhaust was louder than the standard one.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, I'll check it for leaks and if I get no joy I'll talk to Dave - he did say previously that it should be quieter than standard, but 101dBA drive by at Donny is probably in the region of 103 static - so somethings not right.

So when you talk about ear plugs Roy..... you must mean the ones that don't fit in your ear and have a wire hanging out of them *tongue*

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality of the Powerspeed exhaust, I hear that some of the older ones had some problems but I believe my issue was with the way I fitted it. Martin - something you want to share . . . *confused*