Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec starter motor wiring

simonbell

Guys

Can someone help me with the starter motor wiring. There are two posts with nuts on the back of the solenoid, M8 I think and a smaller post which is M6.

One of the M8 posts had the nut prefitted....the one with the strap to the main body of the starter. I`m presuming that the positive from the battery goes on the other M8 post on the solenoid ie the one furthest from the block. I`m also presuming that the earth attches to the M6 post and then to the bellhousing bolt.

Is this correct?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Nope you are wrong. The main battery positive feed goes onto the M8 and the M6 is the starter actuator ( which is also a positive feed comes from your starter button or key switch slaved via a relay ( MFU if you are using a K series wiring loom a brown red wire. The starter gets it neg/ground from the engine block which should be grounded to the battery and to the chassis. I wired a 2.3 Duratec today.

Rob

Hi Simon,

I don't remember the sizes of the bolts on the starter, but have a look here: herehttp://pierats.com/gallery/sevenbuild/res28445?full=1

As far as I remember there are three wires going to the starter:

1. fat wire from battery - connected to the post with the built in plastic insulation

2. starter wire from ignition

3. charging wire from alternator (I did this on my car as it was easier to run the wire to the starter than all the way to the battery).

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Agree with both of those above, I run my alternator charging wire to the the same post as the +ve feed from the battery.

As mentioned the small nut-post is for the ignition trigger wire & earth through engine block. Make sure you have a good earth strap from battery to top of engine block for this purpose.

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*

Thanks........forgot about the starter trigger.....doh!

I`ve already fitted the earth from block to chassis and have the wire to go between the block and the battery.

It`s the first time I`ve wired a starter motor and the manual isn`t that helpful.......nor the Haynes manual.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here