Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driveshaft boot clips

Mike Bees

I'm replacing my driveshaft boots using a Duraboot kit (neoprene boots, plastic cone to slide them over). I'm a bit puzzled by the cable-tie-like clips they provide to secure the boots. They're like cable ties except there is no locking mechanism - there's a sort of blister on top of the bit which the tail slides through, perhaps I'm supposed to hammer that down? I can't find any way to get enough tension on the clip, let alone get enough tension and hold it whilst I hammer it. Should I just use cable ties instead?

Mike

Mike, the duraboot normally comes with 2 types of ring ties.

The first type have slots and teeth. Using pressure you slot the teeth into the slots, securing the clip to the boot. You then use a set of special pliers (clamps) that grip the protruding tensioner. As you squeze the pliers it forces the tensionner in on itself, thus tightening the clamp onto the boot securely. The pliers have a limiting block in the tip that acts as a stop during the squeeze process ... its hard to describe in words. Its a clever piece of kit and works well.

The second type look just like a cable tie with a tiny sleeve on one end through which the other ends

sleeves. There is a small dimple in the sleeve section. It is a one way resistance clamp. Ones you pull it tight it locks. However to get it to lock tight and seal the boot you need a special tool.... a bit like a tin opener in concept. It simply clamps to the sleeve and you wind the top of the 'tin opener' to tension.

The third one is a normal cable tie... and works well.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs

Any good local motor factors will have type 1. You should be able to tension the clips reasobaly well with a set of normal pliers.

But I wouldn't go through the hassel............run with cable ties

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm/182bhp @ 6690rpm engineered for low revs