Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres for 15' R300 wheels ?

Slider7

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying some new 15' R300 wheels (10 Spoke 15 x 6.5) 😳 but don't want the CR500's since these or too expensive and wear out too quick.

What are the alternatives (1A tyres), knowing that I only am going to use this set for road driving ?

Want something that will last a bit longer then those sticky tires (CR500 - 032 - 048 - ...) and is well suited for driving in the wet (am going to Norway with this set 😬).

I was thinking about Bridgestone RE720's ... ?

Any views on this ???

Second question : what size to go for ?

195/50/R15 or 195/45/R15 *confused*

Cheers,

Slider@7

Edited by - Slider@7 on 5 Apr 2005 10:26:42

I would consider:

Bridgestone RE720 (if you can still get them?)

Toyo Proxes T1-S or T1-R (£60 a pair here !!!)

Yokohama AVS Sport

195/45 will give has very similar total diameter to 185/60x13 which is a good ballpark size. 195/50 will give you about 0.4" more ground clearance than 195/45.

Mike

Slider,

the CR500s on my 15" wheels have proven embarassingly hard wearing ( OK- I drive like a wimp 😬)- several thousand miles and a few track days.

I did think from the Avon info that they were a different compound to the 13s.

Despite the cost- I've just replaced them with the same again; I 'll be on the USA 2005 tour and have no worries re. tyre wear.

I'm happy with wet weather perfromance too.

By contrast the Yoko 32rs on my other wheels have proven not at all durable (so it's not just driving style!)

Neil

Orange SUPERLIGHT R300

Perms a speciality, OAP discounts on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice so far ... *thumbup*

No doubt that the CR500's are the best tyres available for these wheels, but since my 'little' summer trip will be between 5 & 6,5 k miles, these are not an option ☹️, ... since I only have a limited tyre budget *mad*.

Phoned around a bit, ... and ... the RE720's are still available in 15' *smile* :

195/45/R15's are 106,4 euro per tyre (all in).

195/50/R15's are 77,4 euro per tyre (all in).

Is the extra 30 euro per tyre justified *confused*

And what are the main benefits of the 45's over the 50's ???

Edited by - Slider@7 on 5 Apr 2005 14:08:56

195/50 15 are cheaper because it is a common size for a lot of tintops, not because of the tyre quality or specs.

On all brands, if you look for the price of 185/55 15 (Elise std front tyres), they are more expensive than 195/50 15!

Not necessarily related (as the weight is different), but on the Elise community the BF Goodrich G-force Profiler in 195/50 15 are highly rated (and 1A)

Cheers

Carlo

Edited by - elise_s1 on 5 Apr 2005 15:59:33

I still have 15-16" cycle wings (thanks charlie_pank 😬), since the car originally was fitted with 15" Prisoner wheels ... so no problem there ... but nevertheless thanks for the info Neil *thumbup*

After reading all your comments ( *wink*), I think I'll go for the RE720's in 195/50/R15 ... and this way save some cash for other bits ... 😬 😳 😬

Thanks *thumbup*

Edited by - Slider@7 on 5 Apr 2005 16:38:01

I run the R300/R400 wheels with 195/50/15 TOYOs and it is the best upgrade I have made, excellent in the wet and dry. I have not used the CR500s but they would have to be a lot better to convince me to pay the extra.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Hi

Just looking to relpace my now nearly slick Avon ZV1s (which haven't been as bad as people make out) with something else. I have also looked at CR 500s but they seem difficult to get and V expensive.

George Polley has suggested Yoko 539s at £35 +vat. Has anyone had any experience of these???

One of the Duratectives

I had the lovely PILE UPS by Michelin and they were great fun for sliding and getting the back end out.The TOYOs I have now just offer so much confidence and progressive slide I now have confidence at all speed dry or wet. The pile ups went on my AUDI COUP'E and offered simular levels of grip to the ZV1s you have.

The ZV1s and the Pile Ups seem to be better suited to a heavy car such as a saloon.

The TOYO PROXI T1s 195/50/15 I think can not be beaten for the grip or price.

C7 CYA, great price please let us all know where you got them from, I paid £120 inc delivery fitted and balanced through work so your price is very competetive. It would cost me the same for one cr500 fitted.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR