Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R300 re-mapped

Casbar

Anybody had their R300 re-mapped *confused*

If so, what differences did you find.

Thinking of taking my car to Steve Greenald, so see if he can possible get rid of the tendency to bunny hop in 1st and 2nd.

I have learnt to drive around it, but would prefer it if it didn't happen *thumbup*

I know of at least two different maps that CC use of the R300 spec cars ... on Supersport-R upgrades there is a dizzy and a wasted-spark maps. It not just the ignition drive that differs on the MBE maps, but the whole fuel/ignition maps are different too.

I recently saw the results of mapping a R300 (Supersport-R) engine and comparing the WOT charts .... the new map saw an upward shift of around 4-6lbft on the torque curve in the range 3000-6500rpm, however the peak power (@6850) was not improved much. As you might expect for a set of maps that have to "fit" all R300s... at the "power sites" the fuel map was generally too rich or/and the ignition adv too small to reach max power.

Ive got the charts ... but only on paper. Might be able to scan/email them if you want?

The R300 and R400 are poorly mapped. A friend had an R400 remapped and gained torque everywhere, a stable idle and no holes leading to this bunny hopping problem. He nearly double his economy too. The bunny hopping problem is, believe it or not, a symptom of massive overfuelling in the low speed/low load map cells.

My fabby new 1.9 seems to be doing about 200 miles to a tank. That was a fairly hard run home from the Emerald RR session. I'll report back sometime later in the year but it used to do about 220 miles to a tank, however watching the amount of extra fuelling DW had to add to my map, even at light throttle loads, I am fairly confident it'll be about 200 now.

But that really puts into context how poorly the R300's and R400's are mapped.

This is my only criticism of Caterham really. I'm a long-time fan of theirs and don't like to hear people knocking them unfairly but this is such a simple thing to get right. I mean, my friend's R400 map could have been paid for by Caterham and used to great affect by all the R400's. It doesn't make sense to me. The map as supplied by Caterham wouldn't have passed an MoT owing to the poor emissions, so it simply had no redeeming features.

Oh well, maybe it's deliberate. Maybe they give you a poor map so that you can feel good abotu yourself when you go and get it set up yourself? *confused* *wink*

(V7) Im not sure why adding extra fuel should mean fewer mpg? I would have thought he (DW) was added more fuel as a result of better breathing *confused* - but basically keeping the air/fuel mixture at an appropriate value. Would a "monster" 1900 k-series driven at a constant 70mph have a similar fuel econ to a lesser 115bhp k-series driven in the same way? .... obviously with all those extra ponies you can drive (accel) much more extreme and push the mpg down 😬.

I see where you're at there Adam, and it's true that if I "employ" only 100 horses, I ought to get the same economy as a 1.6 using *its* 100 horses. Fair comment. I won't really know until later in the year when I've got better statistics to shoot with. DW *did* add a lot of extra fuelling in, but it's up to me whether I use that extra oomph or not... however I'm gonna aren't I? I'm gonna go mad. I'm so impulsive.

Another *thumbup* *thumbup* for Mech Repairs.

Cost is ~350. But with the library of maps that they must be building up I would think the process could be getting quicker. I know have worked on both R400s and R300s. Its about ~70/hr. I imagine the basic fuel/ignition maps can be done in 4-5 hrs.

Edited by - Adam on 21 Mar 2005 22:51:01

AIUI the pin is for the map, NOT the ECU itself. Therefore you will have to totally discard the current map and start afresh. They will start with a "standard" starter map anyway. At least this way you can be sure it'll be totally right for your car and not a lazy reworking of your current map.

My friend's took 2 days but I believe this was the first time Mech Repairs had worked on that version of the MBE ECU. Now they've done that one and are about to do Silver-7's 1.9 (with MBE), they'll be able to do it in one day, or less. Whilst they don't have any R300 maps to start with, Dave is comprehensive. You'll be very happy with the result.

Edited to say I didn't realise they had done a few more. With a library of maps they'll be much quicker than I thought.

Edited by - V7 SLR on 21 Mar 2005 22:57:04