Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heating and shaping acrylic/perspex

Red Line Components

We had a sort of letterbox slot thing with an electric fire radiant underneath to do straight bends (going back to school woodwork/craft workshop here) and more complex forming using moulds was heated in the oven of an old cooker.

Can't remember what sort of temp for the oven though? Richard, you there?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Kitchen oven works Fine.. assuming yr bits fit in.. Temp in my experiences run about 150 to 200d F!

Beauty of Plexiglass is: if you muck it up.. just reheat it and it regains it's original flat sheet shape.. so you can try again and again.

• Area Representative

Minty,

What is it you're trying to make?

I've made a couple of JPE style aeroscreens from 5mm thick perspex. I downloaded a couple of documents from www.perspex.co.uk , but they're no longer there! I recall that there were charts listing the temperatures at which the material would have what properties. whilst I have the facility to heat the material to the correct temperature (140 - 180°C, if I recall correctly), to handle and mould at that size would be tricky!

I cut my material to shape and size, made a former to shape it around, and used a heat gun to heat and form a little at a time.

Theres a fine line between soft enough to bend easily and too soft so that it sags and stretches under its own weight.

PLexiglass absorbs moisture IIRC - and this can lead to all-sort of problems if you try to form it with heat. It doesn't shatter readily, though, so is great if you can get it to take a natural curve (my AR7E Mk II screen is made from a UV-stable form - see here

Acrylic - the stuff you get from B&Q etc., can be formed with heat - and is a b*gger to cut/bend cold (cracks easily). I made my MKI screen out of this stuff - what a pain!

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Area Representative

"Plexiglass" is a trade name, just like "Perspex" - both acrylics - both come in both extruded and cast form, but I'm not sure what the differences are between cast and extruded.

Edited by - Richard Price on 11 Mar 2005 18:34:20