Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Felt seals

nutty7

Hi all,just changed front discs on my 7 and one of the felt seals has split and needs replacing, does anyone know if you can buy these on there own and where from 🤔

or is there a better alternative,

I need one this week *confused*

wot another package!

I pulled one of these out by accident, thought a bit of cloth or cotton had got wrapped around the axle but when I pulled at it the rest of the felt bit came out *mad*

The replacements I got from CC have a metal part to them so there is more to them than you may think.

They all have a "metal part". It's only to stop the brease getting out the back. If you don't overpack the bearing they'll be fine if a bit ragged. New ones are best but not essential.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

notice the new product - brease.

Edited by - nverona on 7 Mar 2005 09:00:13

All the '60's BMC vehicles had these felt seals. I've seen cars with tiny bits left and in a lot of cases only rock hard broken bits. There wasnt a problem with grease leaking. I suspect the extra heat generated by the extra speed is balanced by being in the open and dissapating the heat more.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

"Pesky felt seals" *confused*. They only come out to change bearings/discs, you get them in the kit and they hardly break the bank. There's a case for renewing bearings with discs, at around £15 a pop from a factor you can afford it.

Dunno if I have a "slightly used" one from when I did my last bearing swap. If so I'm happy to post it.