Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MB wheel rim widths

Mike Bees

The R500 spec 6.5 inch fronts are 1.5 inch outers 5 inch inners, the 8.5 inch rears are 2.5 inch outers and 6 inch inners.

To be honest the 5 inch inners are near the limit for the fronts, I run 3mm spacers to avoid the inside of the tyre wall touching the (admittedly cut down) wing stays. So for 7 inch fronts probably best to stick with 5 inch inners and run 2 inch outers. My 8 inch fronts for this year are 5 inch inners and 3 inch outers.

Although you're on 15 inch tyres are you not? So maybe more wing stay clearance than with 13 inch.

Don't forget the rim measurement is not necessarily the same as the offset of the wheel. It's measured from the part of the wheel centre where the rims bolt to, not necessarily the same place as the mounting face.

Thanks Graham. My 15" wheels will be going (still using the original 13" wingstays which have plenty of clearance with 205x50/15 tyres and whatever the offset is for Prisoner wheels - not that I've got Prisoners, but I believe the offsets are the same as my Dymags...).

OK Dave, you can stand down your tape measure unless you've got some 7" jobbies hiding somewhere in your stockpile *wink*

Mike

Mike B can sort more or less what you want. I had a pair of 8.5 " rears reduced to 6.5 by changing just the outer rim. Do the maths your self but you get what I mean *confused*. This saved a bit of cash and also meant I had the width I wanted and the 185 tyres filled the rear arches a mite better. Also I can revert to 8.5 " at anytime if I want to run wider rubber or sell as a set of standard R500 mags 😬

He was ill for a while a few weeks back so wasn't answering. I called him a couple of days ago to request gold rather than black centers and there was no probs getting through. He's working Saturdays to catch up with his backlog after being ill so if you call tomorrow morning, I'd assume he'll be at work....

Picking chassis up from Arch TODAY *smile*

😬 *thumbup*

The bit that no-one has mentioned is that with Mike seemingly interested in wheels and tyres, it sounds like class 4 or 5 may have some serious competion at the top this season *eek* *thumbup*

Come on Mike tell us your plans ? That will give some of these guys time to swap classes 😬 *tongue* 😳 or populate the pre season excuses thread on the club speed event page 😬

Edited by - Graham Perry on 27 Feb 2005 19:10:20

*eek* Sorry Dave *eek* *eek* *eek* Graham Ford posted the information on Friday afternoon, but too late for you to get my response. I hope you've thawed out.

Graham - I don't have any great plans other than to get the car out of the garage (it hasn't turned a wheel since October '03 ☹️). I'm going to revert to 13" wheels (hurrah) now that south-east area events allow 1B tyres (and get some 1B tyres obviously). Will do a few reasonably local events (Lydden, Goodwood, was hoping to do Hethel in May but it's been canned). Don't know if I'll get to any L7 club events, they're mostly over the other side of the country - if I was going to do a lot of hauling over there then I'd be doing the HSA or Midland Hillclimb champs. Longcross would be great, but currently the diff is out of the car waiting for ZF to pull their finger out and make some LSDs so it's difficult to know when I'll have the car back together.

Going to be a bit busy doing other things (again) too - some friends/neighbours have just bought this here so we'll be doing some of the big races in that, and I'll continue to do some racing in this here. And while we're OT, aquatic picture of the week here 😬.

Mike

Mike