Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter kit build

SJL

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a start kit with the aim of getting to R300 type spec - I intend to buy everything new excpet the engine - the intention is that with only one secondhand component (the engine) I can still get it registered with a new registration (useful to retain value). Regards the engine I was thinking of aquiring a 1.8K VVC from a breakers and suspect this will cost in the region of £1K for a good one - which would make a considerable saving over the cost of getting the equivalent from Cateham - I would welcome feedback from anyone who has taken this route.

Otherwise I plan to go for widetrack suspension, 6 speed g/box and LSD diff with the only diversion being freestyle dampers and front anti roll bar instead of Caterham.

Thanks Simon

Hmm - whatever value the new-plate retains will not be anything like as high as if you'd bought an R300 in the first-place.

Don't kid-yourself - you might build something with R300 performance, but it won't be treated as such as and when you resell it - Caterham almost certainly won't touch it with a bargepole as they only seem to accept genuine CC-spec cars for part-ex and the like.

If you're not too worried by any of that, carry-on... *thumbup*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I did pretty much exactly what you propose, with the same engine. Tried to buy as little as poss from Caterham and did save quite a tidy amount, about 5 large IIRC.

Myles is right, rightly or wrongly I think the known Caterham models hold their value better, and Caterham told me up front they wouldn't buy my car if I went with non Caterham supplied bits. However I do think it's worth doing if you have no plans to sell the car later as you save so much. Getting it with a new plate is wise as Q plate cars still have a negative perception.

Myles - Not too bothered about selling car back to Caterham - when I tried that with my last one (full Caterham build) the price they offered wasn't fantastic unsurprisingly so I sold it privately - so long as I can sell it for a fair price at a later date I will be happy. I do recognise that if I pay less for it than a new R300 it will be worth less secondhand. More concerned that its registered on a new plate - a Q would affect its value (downwards).

Luke - can you remember how much you ended up paying for your s/h engine ? where there any issues with a non Caterham K series (I know they alter them at the factory) - thanks

but you'll still need to have the engine refurbished (budget about £1500). You are allowed one reconditioned part and must have an invoice that states "reconditioned to as new"...

I have just built a nicely specced 1.6 supersport/6spd for about £15K. Saving about 7 or 8 large ones on new. Using a lightly used (5000mile) ex-superlight engine/box. Some other second hand bits like tillets etc.. too.

It will go on a Q but with that kind of saving, I can live with it 😬

I paid £940 for an engine in a stolen/recovered car. Bits had started to be cannibalised from the car so I couldn't see it running, just had to take a chance. I then fully reconditioned it myself, and had to replace a lot - bearings, liners and of course gaskets. Nonetheless the engine still ended up costing less than £1500 total, and I had no problem with officialdom being sniffy over it being refurbished. The engine looked almost like new anyway as I'd cleaned everything along the way. I went to great lengths to ensure it had a year related reg then, and would do the same again despite the potential for greater savings if you are released from buying everything but the engine new.

There is a bit of tomfoolery to get them to fit in a Seven, and I put most of what I know up on t'web here.

Thanks Luke - very interesting web site - and a lot of information !

Regards the engine required to be reconditioned - am I right in assuming that so long as its clean and shiny the SVA people will accept it as OK - am guessing that if I can get a recent engine and clean it then it will get by - a good s/h VVC (or even standard 1.8) has got to be a good saving ?

The other alternative is to accept a Q plate and go the while hog and get a s/h g/box etc etc which as you mention could save even more

I have heard of people buying a second hand engine, stripping it down, taking lots of photos, keeping oinvoices for replacement parts, photographing the rebuild and using all that information as a basis for prooving that it has been reconditioned.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

> so long as its clean and shiny the SVA people will accept it as OK

I guess it's difficult to say since in my case I did refurbish it (though I'd rather have bought a good engine in the first place) and heaved a stack of reciepts at the DVLA, about 1cm of which were invoices from the local Rover dealer.

I would think =you will need either a reciept which says it is a new engine, a reciept which says it is a used engine plus a reciept which says it has been reconditioned as new.....or a receipt which says it is a used engine and a stck of receipts for various parts plus any further supporting docs / photos to prove you have reconditioned it yourself.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here