Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Fuel Tank - Repair or Replace

Ray Stewart

Has anyone had a problem with a leaking fuel tank. The leak appears to be in the front offside corner. Can these tanks be repaired or is it better to just buy a replacement?

Thanks for your responses so far. Just noticed I mis-spelled Fuel in the original subject box, must be the fumes!! 😳

Edited by - Ray Stewart on 15 Feb 2005 22:48:44

Are you sure that the gasket has not perished around the fuel pump ?

It is fairly common and the fuel always flows towards the front of the tank as it is tilted slightly?

Obviously this does not apply if your tank is not the injected version. *confused*

If not Is it a steel tank or an alloy one, the only way to properly repair it is to remove it and have it done proffesionally. *thumbup*

Watch This Space....Get it ?

Hi All

Many thanks for your responses. I've got the tank out now and it looks like it's been rubbing against the bottom offside angle section. This angled section was full of gravel and the tank did not seem to be particularly secure, hence the rubbing and wearing thin of the side of the tank, even with the rubber strips. Yes John you were right. The bracket holding the tank in, a bit like a battery clamp, just pulled off without any effort or loosening of nuts! *eek* I'm not sure if this a general problem with this type of attachement as opposed to the original steel straps but I'll make bl**dy sure it's tighter when the new one goes in!

Ray

There are Chemical Tank reliner products available Pour the Goo in swirl it around the innards thouroughly and let cure.. 'Restorers' usethis extensively.

Personally I'd think about springing for the $170(in my part of the world) for a genuine 'Race' Bladder type Fuel Cell.