Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stick On Cycle Wings

jmalcol1

One of my cycle wings has come unstuck from the bottom stay ☹️ What do I use to stick/bond it back on? Do I need to prepare the surface? How long to Bond? Should I remove the wing entirely and refix? Should I replace with Carbon if so from who?

*cool*

John M

GK03 EGX SV

Over Xmas I put new wings on mine, and basically used four bighead fasteners per wing bonded on with fibreglass resin and then overlaid with strips of fibreglass.Ensure the original surface of the wing is "keyed" to give it maximum oppertunity to bond.

As to its performance the car had a severe wind hammering on sunday last for over 700 miles and the wings are still solidly bonded on.

There are many topics in the archives of blatchat, which is where I found my method.

Good luck *thumbup*

I also used Bigheads and adhesive (I got a tube of windscreen adhesive).

One of the bonds failed quite early on, but this was due to me being mean on adhesive on the one corner - all the others are rock solid. I used HV-350 (Demon Tweeks sell this) to repair this one.

Over the winter I took both front wings off, and one of the cable ties had rubbed right through out of sight, so it might be a good idea to check and replace the ties every so often...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

If you do a search on here, you will come across this stuff:

Wurth Zebra MS Polymer Adhesive

http://www.wurth.co.uk/catpages/UK-CD_03_1205.pdf

I bought some at the beginning of Jan to stick on the new front wings. I can vouch that they are still attached after blatting into some seriously strong headwinds (100mph+) *tongue* on more than one occasion.

I used Sikaflex *thumbup* which is still working well three years on. When I prepared mine I used a b*stard file to get to bare metal and rough the stays surface. I believe that I waited 48 hours before using the car - though that was possibly because I was building it and had no option.

Try here

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

I would second the Sikaflex it has worked on mine.

I would remove the wing and start over to ensure a good bond.

I like the idea's of bonding zip ties to allow removal. Never tried it though. Seemingly you would embed the ties in the sikaflex cover the stay with wax paper then apply wing and tape in place till dry. This would give you a good fillet to rest the wing on.

Yes do switch to Carbon as its the only way to go.

😬

I started with Bighead fastners but didn't use the setting compound for the windscreen black stuff.... then went down to the hardware store (Mackays in Cambridge) and bought the heaviest weight adhesive they had - I think it quoted around 300kg+ (it could have even been a 1000kg) some crazy over the top figure anyway... cleaned up the wings and stays and went for it... I have not had any issues through sun, snow, wind, speed or rain.....

I would suggest removing and starting again though if one has failed the rest will surely follow...

David

*smile*

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

I lost my driver’s side cycle wing at 80mph on the A41, struck the windscreen directly in front of me - made a mess of the windscreen but thankfully not my head. I was surprisingly calm about it – if I’d had an aeroscreen it would have hurt (a lot!) that's if I’d been lucky enough to still been around to notice. I mainly felt embarrassed - losing bits of your car isn’t very good form - I was in quite heavy traffic but everyone behind managed to avoid the wing before it ended up wedged on the central reservation.

Following the advice on a previous tech-talk topic I stuck the new one on with Sikaflex 292 adhesive (made for gluing boats together), priming the bear metal and fibreglass surfaces with Sikaflex 206 G+P primer – not cheap the glue and primer with delivery cost nearly as much as the new wing. So far it’s been successful.

Unfortunately Caterham “green” has changed over the years so the new wing doesn’t quite match the original. Also I now give my wings a tug periodically to make sure they are on solidly - don’t know if this helps but makes me feel better.