Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sticking throttle cable - 1600 xflow

Ade Ray

The throttle cable on my 1600 xflow is sticking and i cant see why. The carbs are fitted with double return springs and these seem fine with a firm return to closed without the influence of the cable. I have found that with the cable attached and connected to the pedal, when the pedal was depressed it jammed in the open position and the only thing I can think of is that the cable is fouling in the cable cover somehow. The cable is brand new from Caterham so I do not understand. The path of the cable seems ok aswell with no sharp turns.

Does anyone have any ideas??

many thanks

Ade *confused*

I can only think that it maybe the carb end and the outer cable is not sitting in the holder correctly so it is always giving some throttle. My new cable was larger than the old and I had to enlarge the opening to seat it properly. Hope this helps.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Mine is sticking too.

My battery is under the carbs and as a consequence, one of the curves the cable has to take looks rather tight to me.

I've tried oiling it, but no real improvement.

You say your cable run looks OK so perhapa we heve different root causes.

MikeK

Hi Chaps

Interesting points, my battery is under the carbs too so I wonder if the problem is the sam although the curve does not look excessive for this diameter cable. I will check the pedal to see how loose it is and also if the cable is rubbing where it comes thru the pedal box as it was there that the last cable frayed!

many thanks for the comments, Ill report back once Ive tried a few things.

Ade *smile*

My cable has to detour past the battery too. I was concerned at first, but I haven't found it to be a problem really. Apart from the sticky pedal, I find it worthwhile changing the cable every few years as water gets in over time. At this time of year is can freeze and jam the cable. I now immerse the cable in oil overnight before fitting it. I've never had a problem with a new cable though.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,100 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

i have a new unused caterham throttle cable you can use as an experiment to check what the problem is it needs urgent sorting i lost almost an engine in arally a few years ago, because of dodgy throttle linkage it might also be worth getting a non caterham throttle cable (they are cheap) mine is non standard and is long enough to sweep around any obstructions and i have had no problems after a few years of abuse on track days sprints races etc. regards hugh

It possibly is the cable routing because this can cause problems even when everything seems fine. But also check that you have the cable adjusted so that there is some slack when the throttle is fully closed.

Even when it seems to be slack enough, you often find that a bit more cures the problem - make sure that you still get full throttle at the other extreme.