Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - Tin top fly by wire throttle

Graham Perry

Often fly by wire throttles are a twinned pair of potentiometers - one goes from high to low resistance as the other goes from low to high. This is a safety feature as the ECU can check for implausible values between the two pot tracks.

Not heard of the optically encoded system Myles suggests being used for this purpose though.

Symptoms if they are on the way out? Usually the vehicle will not allow you to rev, or revs will die on the move.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

1 guy at work was late in this morning cos on the way into work his car started to die on the motorway..

its happened before to him and he knew that the gas Pot' was on the way out (toyota yaris).. usally car comes back to norn after a few prods of the pedal he says but has now resigned to getting it fixed

Toyota want 500€ + labour to replace it as its out of warentee.. only 2+1/2 years old but 150,000 Kms..

😳

Yes, I have a suspicion that mine is heading the same way. It keeps going on and off throttle in a very subtle way when you hold the throttle in afixed position and then sometimes you press the gas and get a delay before anything happens, or it under reacts to the amount of throttle you have given it.

As described above really by 7heavensoon

There are usually 2 pots in the accel pedal with different types of output (Analogue, PWM, CAN), the throttle body will have 2 analogue pots and 2 lines to drive the dc motor for the throttle plate.

I've never heard of an optically encoded variant.

When a fault is detected there are a number of different failure modes depending on the system you have. But reduced power, revs being slow to react and also rev limiting are common.

The dealer will be able to tell you what codes the car has set, what make/model is it ?

Jon

Ex Beaulieu no31 and now ex Supersport R......so 7less at the moment

My Caterham Pics