Click here if you are having website access problems ×

trouble with me pipes

phatcat

(Academy car, new build)

Just wanted to check that I'm on the right track here:

Section 9, Para 48 (low pressure fuel return) says "Attached to the fuel pressure regulator is a flexible fuel hose... push... over the end of the black nylon pipe (which runs along the RH engine bay diagonal)".

Well, there wasn't a hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator, but there was a fuel hose lying in the coolant box, so I cut a piece off that and used that. I'm guessing this is correct so far.

Para 64 (expansion bottle) then says "apply lubricant...to the small diameter rubber hose and fit to the connector on the LH side of the coolant expansion bottle... fit the other end to the water connection on the inlet manifold adjacent to the number 1 cylinder".

Well, I had used up all the hoses in all the boxes by this stage, but the fuel hose I had used above is the correct diameter, and I had just enough off-cut left over to connect the expansion bottle and the inlet manifold with this. I've no idea though, if this is what I was supposed to do, or if there is any difference between a coolant hose and a fuel hose that could cause a problem?

Then I came to fit the heater blanking plate, and note that the assembly guide Para 66 tells you to "locate the 5/8' ID hose from the thermostat housing and ... connect to the heater outlet (upper)". I have therefore assumed that as I don't have a heater, I can connect the pipe direct to the water rail parallel to the cylinder head.

Is this all ok?

Thanks.

• Area Representative

phatcat,

Sounds OK to me, too!

Where in Cheshire are you?

Are you aware of the Staffs and Cheshire local area meetings at Wybunbury?

The next one is next Wednesday. I won't be there, I'll be at work ☹️, but I'm sure there will be plenty of freindly faces there!

Thanks for the replies, I just needed some reassurance before trying to get it started *smile*

>Where in Cheshire are you?

Middlewich.

>Are you aware of the Staffs and Cheshire local area meetings at Wybunbury?

>The next one is next Wednesday. I won't be there, I'll be at work, but I'm sure there will be plenty of freindly faces there!

I've thought about attending these, but my job keeps me very busy, and with the Academy stuff and other social commitments I just don't have time at the moment. If I don't carry on racing after this year, and decide to keep the Caterham 😳 🤔, then expect me there next year *smile*