Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500's

Durawest

Have only had the car a year and have only ever used CR500s so I can't make comparisons. I run 13x6 175/55s on 135hp. Wet and dry grip, cornering and braking seem very good. It's quite easy to get wheelspin in the dry at the start of sprints, so I'm considering 205 rears but that will change the balance (it's very easy to drift at the moment). CR500s are certainly lighter (about 25%??) than Yokos and inetrestingly the tread width is wider than Yoko 185/60s I looked at a few weeks ago. The tread is very flat too.

There is not much tread to start with, less than 6mm, and I did wear half that off in less than 1k miles enthusiastic hooning on airfields etc. I'd certainly get CR500s again.

Edited to add that the best price is from Avon direct - here

Get them fitted locally

HTH,

Alan

Edited by - AlanB on 22 Dec 2004 21:43:00

Had both and tried them at a track day back to back. Without getting too technical (I'm not well qualified in this area!) The ACB10 seems to add a directness to the car the steering became very light and the car felt more stable under braking. Both carcasses are very light, 2/3 rd weight of a normal seven tyre. The ACB gets up to temperature very quickly on track. I found the grip levels on damp surface to be pretty good BUT the ACB lets go v quick but at higher speeds.Both fab tyres though a lot more expensive than 21's and 32's from Yokohama. Currently running A539's from Yokohama for the winter- very good for the money £45 each fitted.

Regards

Rich

I've run both ACB10's and CR500's the CR500's don't have anywhere near the same level of grip as an ACB10, in the wet they will generally be better but if you can get an ACB10 up to temperature in the wet and you don't hit standing water it will be the better tyre. It's just the getting it up to temperature but that's tricky! which means generally the CR500 seems to be the better choice for wet driving.

I ran 032r's for quite a while and once spent a day chasing 3 CR500 shod 7's on some very wet norwegian mountain roads, it was hard work! with a few interesting moments until I just backed of a bit and caught up later on once the roads dried out a little.

Rob G

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

CR500 will do more miles than 032's or 021's for that matter.

CR500's have nice progressive grip give up if lacking the out and out grip of 032's on a warm day.

I reckon if you do a few miles / yr that CR500 are more economical.

The early CR500's used to melt on track days but that seems to have been fixed and are not as light as they once were i believe. Avon seem to have beefed up the construction somewhat over the original ones.

Weights for a 6" rim the 185 yoko's are 1.5 kg heavier than the wide 175 CR500's.

205's are also 1.5 kg lighter. These were CR500's delivered to me last March.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Can't give you the weight answers but I have driven on 32's CR500's and ACB10's although admittedly not millions of miles.

I found the ACB10's similar to the 32's on dry grip although my car setup has been changed but neither is anywhere near the CR500's in the wet.

32's and ACB's are lousy if you hit standing water and I think the ACB's were worse in the wet than the 32's.

CR500's are not as good as the others in the dry but I have had a few people say to me that if you are exceeding the capabilities of most of these tyres on the road in the dry you are pushing your luck.

Ultimately at this time of year the ACB's stay in the garage on the second set of rims whilst the CR500's stay on the car. Once the weather dries up I will swap them round.

CR500 vs. 32r (supersoft).

The only significant advantage the 32r has over the CR500 is cost, and that's debatable since the CR500 will last longer. We've done some back to back testing with them, and in the dry they are within 0.5s round Oulton International, but the CR500's are *much* nicer to drive - better feedback, less sensitive to bumps and kerbs, and far more communicative under braking. In the wet there is no contest - the CR500 is streets ahead.

CR500's will outgrip 32's (& 48's) in the wet conditions.

In the dry, but cold (winter) days I would say the performance of both is about equal

On dry warm days the 32's will have the edge on outright grip.

CR500's are 25% lighter and run a smaller profile (55 v 60) so acceleration is slightly better.

32's are about 40% cheaper to buy

CR500's are a better allrounder but you pay for the privilege.

As for tyre life, I'm not sure but I know Caterham/Avon are currently changing the compound on CR500's to make them more durable. (racing use) I'm not sure if the old 11090 compound will still be available, but if it is this is what I would use.

R400's will race on CR500's next year, while this year the R400's in the Eurocup raced on Yoko 32's it'll be interesting to see the difference in lap times.

I'm lead to believe (standing to be corrected) that the new compound (RSB) will be harder/more durable if I was using the car on the road and the occasional trackday I'd prefer to have the older stickier compound. I think the change in racing to a harder compound is to attempt to lower cost and to get bigger grids.

But looking at your post you look as if you probably know more about the imminent new compound than me so please let us know the full SP

Cheers

Durawest,

If you intend to use ACB10 you need to think about a few other things..,

They are X-ply so you need the correct de-dion ears fitted to the car. The odds are that the ones you currently have are for radials (CR500's, 32's etc)

Does your car have a dry sump? (or at least an appollo!!) In the dry you will be able to pull some serious cornering force with ACB10's and oil surge may become a problem

Oil surge no problem, but as the car is a westfield the rear end is totally independant so would this be a problem with acb10.

I have a selection of 6" & 7" x 13" alloys so thinking 185 front, 205 rears. This is what I currently have in ao32r format, but looking for a change *smile*

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the CR500`s.

I`m about to buy a set of tyres........was going to get 48R`s but they don`t seem to last to long.

Normally this doesn`t bother me but I am going on USA2005 so will need a tyre that will do at least 3500 miles of spirited driving. This, I`m told , is marginal on a 48.

I want to go on the tour with a decent grippy tyre but would rather have one that will last the entire tour.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here