Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Donnington "TrackZone"

Ken Y

I was thinking of trying Donnington's TrackZone drive-in track day next weekend or the one after- anyone been / comments?

You can just show up and pay on the day, which means no gambles with the weather, but is the quid pro quo being surrounded by chavs in "Max-Power"ed Saxos?

• Area Representative
I went with someone recently and although there was a mixed bunch of cars (the odd Sierra Cos just about holding together) it was well run anyone out of line was jumped on and everyone seemed keen and enthusiastic.

The Trackzone days are reasonably well run and certainly no more or less so than any others i have attended. They represent good value for money and you can expect to be placed in ability groups. In December you may want to pitch up early and blag yourself a pit garage which is allotted on a first come first basis; do this even before you register to be sure not to miss out as on a cold day it is worthwhile. In December you may even find they run an open pitlane but I have not found this to be the case in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My (so far) one and only track day was with Track Zone, an ex brought it as a b'day pressie and we had a great time. Both of us took turns taking my Fiat Coupe round. My Mrs blagged us a pre start ride around the circuit in the Jag fire car (slid all over the place!!) Then one of the organisers took us round in his Imprezza.

As I said, first time and we thought it was very friendly and would go again. Only reason I havent (yet) is cos that day I fell in love with the 7 (as they kept passing me!) and whilst I now have one, it spent most of the summer off the road. Hope to get back on track soon though.

Got to admit, my only criticism of the day was a Radical driver who was a nutter and SO much quicker than everything else it was quite unnerving.

Mind you, towards the end of the session, I came off my line to let a few much quicker guys past, then, loosing my concentration went into Redgate too quick and nearly sideswiped a 911. I called it a day after that *confused*

From memory there was a very broad section of cars and drivers there. No souped up saxo's tho?

In the pits people were very friendly and happy to chat and show their cars. There was a bit of stuffyness (we felt) from a few characters who seemed to be very familiar with the environment, but absolutely none from some of the 'younger' fraternity out to see what their cars were capable of (like me!!)

Its not the days in your life ..........But the LIFE in your days!! ;0))