Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do 7's Fair in Accidents

Billyboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One option that the RAC (now MSA) always used to recommend was to glassfibre (steel) fuel tanks. Did that to mine years ago (what a messsy bl**dy job) and when we wrote it off, the rear of the car was badly damaged (the tank was folded round) after the car landed rear end first and, while it did leak a bit, it did not leak a lot (despite being almost full).

The other thing I've done is fitted builders' polystyrene sheets (about an inch thick - obtain from any DIY store) between the fuel tank and the rear panel i.e. to fill in the air gap. So, if you are hit from behind the whole thing acts as a sandwich and cushions and spreads the load, which should also help minimisethe penetration risk *eek*

The best bet though is probably a bag tank and proper honeycomb tank protection, but that costs ☹️

Andy

I had a fairly major crash about 5 years ago in my pre-lit Westfield I was out on a road test, the back end stepped out on a wet greasy surface at between 80-90mph the car left the road and took down 40metres of crash barrier, the car was written off, both front corners knocked off and the chassis bent from in front of the windscreen,I did not suffer a scratch but I was wearing a 4 point harness, Caterhams are a much better built car than the early Westfields ( I know, the insurance money for the westfield was used to buy a Caterham Kit, which I built to replace the Westfield)

My advice is don,t worry and if you fancy driving your Caterham anywhere near its limits try track days or sprints, you can frighten yourself without being a danger to your self or others.

• 2 months later...

I can now vouch that a seven is good in an accident *eek* 🙆🏻

M25 J11 entry sliproad -anticlockwise 7.30 today- at the top of the slip road road surface on the bend changes from tarmac to concrete - ended up bouncing nose off inner barrier and facing back up the slip road - and stepped out completely fine (embarrassed but fine). Car front has been re shaped (think I'll leave it to the designers in future) along with bonnet, steering, radiator... (usual stuff)

According to the police there were 3 similar accidents last week and the barrier was freshly repaired. 🙆🏻

Now to see if Egger Lawson are as good as other people have said 🤔

So if there have been three similar accidents in the last week - why do they not move where the surface changes? This is obviously not a "speed" related issue but a case of poor design. I wonder if you can sue the govt forthe damage to the car as the road design in negligent.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!