Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water Water Everywhere

wild bill

As a year round Severner (I have alternative motors but hell it's just not the same) *smile* I am out in all weathers (Except snow, which we haven't had for years) and here's the problem. Water, it's coming in through my heater vent in the bonnet and wetting the passenger footwell and my left leg. Any tips? I thought a colour coded cover might work does anybody know if i can buy off the shelf or is it back to my metalwork training from school *confused*

Also what protective measures should i take against the rainwater and inclement weather(bearing in mind that it's aluminium and powder coated chassis) is a regular wash and polish enough or is it out with the wd 40 and waxoyl each week

Bill

There should be some strips of foam on top of the heater that seal with the bonnet (assuming a newer style heater) which on our car have certainly seen better days. The other place the water comes in is around the bottom of the plastic heater housing - some silicon sealant should stop that around the bottom edge where it sits on the ali.

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

mine leaks a bit too..

Angus, I think the water comes through the heater its self.. ie down through the bonnet louvres into the fresh air intake and onto your feet! Not much you can do about it, I think.

However, sealing up gaps can't harm. What type of sealant did you use Angus? Just any old stuff from DIY shop (ie bath sealant) or do you need some MOTORSPORT specific grade stuff?? 😬 *confused*

Wild bill - I Waxoyl'd the car when I first got it, just over a year ago. Some of it can be applied with a paintbrush (immerse the can in hot water beforehand) and use the spray version to get in those hard-to-reach places. It can go all round the chassis and the engine bay. The gap between the body and the pedal box is notorious for collecting muck (and therefore causing corrosion) and I squirted a shedload in there. The underside is straightforward to reach. I applied it to the front suspension - it doesn't look too good cosmetically but it's immaculate underneath. Some suggest that it's worth squirting Waxoyl into the chassis itself (by removing a rivet). As to how often it needs to be applied, I think about once a year is quite sufficient. Talking of which I'm doing mine this weekend!

Sadly the gritters will be out soon. I try to avoid the salt but whenever I get salted in the seven i hose down the underneath of the car.

Water everywhere? Sounds very familiar! Mine leaks but it's all part of the character I feel! I keep a bucket in the driver's footwell if the car's outside and the rain will be strong.

Hope this is of use!