Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fireblade Clutch...

Lee

...need to replace the clutch in the 'blade, but as I've been through two in just over a year and less than 3000 miles, was wondering if anyone had fitted an uprated Honda clutch or an alternative suppliers in theirs?

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try and send an email...

If I'm home on saturday morning, I'll get some piccies taken of the mounting points for the cage... just make sure that you've got cloths between the struts and the paintwork as you attempt to line it up (it's a tight fit!). An engine hoist supporting the cage helps if you haven't got much help.

The general conscensus among the Fireblade racers in the 750MC RGB series is that there's nothing really better than Honda clutch plates but that fitting uprated springs is usually a good idea. Try PDQ for the springs.

HTH

Dan

I uprated my clutch on the ZX9R E2 to a 'Barnet' drag racing clutch kit and springs at the start of the year. Have wrung the s**t out of it all year on the n.i. sprint championship and track days and it has performed magnificantly. Most impressed. Not that cheap but worth every penny in terms of improved gearbox protection.

Emerald Isle's 1st SV 148lbft @ 6091rpm and 182bhp @ 6900rpm of cheese power

Donuts at the Dunsfold Handling Day seemed to kill the clutch pretty quick! *tongue*

I think the 1st clutch was on it's way out when I installed the engine last year, it was slipping slightly from the start, so can't take all the credit! 😬

Going to look into the Honda uprated one, not sure of the cost yet though (if I remember correct, the standard one wasn't cheap at about £150 plus vat for all the plates)!

Lee, are you checking that the springs are within service limits?

I have a feeling they don't like you sitting with your foot on the clutch for long periods.

If they become weak this will hasten failure of an othewise good clutch

Also make sure you have the recommended ammount of free play in the cable.

Regarding oil I'm on Putolene Fully Synthetic.

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

(More than) a couple of things:

I would expect that the clutch does wear out quicker in a car than on a bike because the car is heavier so the clutch will probably be slipped a bit more.

Fitting uprated springs will prevent the clutch slipping when it is fully engaged and is, as I understand it a fairly standard thing to do for BECs

I can't see how there's a difference between the installation in a car and the installation in a bike in terms of sitting with your foot (or hand) on the clutch for a while. Bikers tend to spend a lot of time slipping the clutch and sitting at lights, in traffic etc.. with the clutch disengaged and I don't think this affects the life-expectance of the clutch at all.

I have always been led to believe that you have to be very careful what kind of oil you use in bike engines because it lubricates the engine, gearbox and clutch. IMHO you should use exactly the oil that Honda recommend for the Fireblade.

HTH

Springs were new September last year, along with all the clutch plates and outer friction ones.

Was running on the recommended Castrol oil (R4?) at the time, but the Honda dealers brother had a Caterham Fireblade too and suggested I should use Castrol GPS instead as it stop the plates slipping past each other at temperature, which the R4 is more likely to do.

Not sure about the amount of free play in the cable, mine has always been a bit tight compared to others I've seen, and I don't seem to be able to get a satisfactory adjustment on it... maybe this is the problem?