Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA headrest

PACR

Got my FIA bar yesterday. Doesn't look too tricky to fit.

Anyway, what's the recommended covering for the headrest, the missus helpfully pointed out that a piece of metal plate won't be comfortable (I was more concerned about the safety of it). I'm thinking some hardish polystyrene foam then some squishy stuff to support the head / helmet when accelerating. Cover the lot in a bit of vinyl left over from my other cars roof with some trim round the edge of the plate. Sounds like it would a, do the job and b, pass a scrutineers check?

Piers

Piers,

I got two cheap foam backed mouse pads and pulled the nylon top layer off. I then used the metal plate to create a template and then cut 4 identical shapes from each mouse pad. I also cut out one shape from a 2cm thick piece of balsa wood. I then tank taped the foam pieces to the balsa wood by going around the edge and then tank taped the balsa & foam block to the metal plate (balsa against metal).

A totally 'Heath Robinson' set-up! Your solution sounds much better.

Is the head rest an integrated part of the FIA bar? I've currently got a full cage but it has no head protection and I'm sitting on carbon race seats which also have no head restraint.

I sit so low in the car my head would miss the bar in the event of an accident, but my head would go all the back and hit the harness retaining bolts. Is there a head restraint I can fit to my current set up?

Thanks

Marc

Edited by - Wozza on 10 Aug 2001 10:30:26

Mike

Yes the lower mounting for the Petty strut is a threaded bush which is hidden behind the side trim panel. Drill out a few pop rivets, peel the panel back and locate the bush. Then just a matter of drilling a hole in the correct place (measure twice drill once !) and re rivetting the panel. Why on earth Caterham don't drill it for you and supply a cover plate is beyond me.

Marc,

The head restraint is not part of the FIA bar, it's a separate item (costs approx £35) and is a 3 inch square metal plate welded to a piece of tube with a clamp on the other end. The clamp is attached to the roll over bar. Then there's another piece of tube with a clamp - this braces the first bit and is connected at 90degrees to the first bit.

Confused? I know I am.

Marc,

Yes as andrew says, the head restraint is a separate piece of kit exactly as he describes although it arrives with the FIA roll bar set up. definitely not worth 35 knicker on its own though.

Chairman Roger,

Thanks for that, I shall search out the aforementioned bush this weekend.

Mike

Sorry to Hijack this - but on the petty bar point is it practical to cut a hole in the trim and fit the bar through the trim when needed? ie do you have to remove the whole trim to be able to get the bolt into the bush each time?

My bar has been living at the bottom of the bed for a while on the basis that it would be good to use on burglars.

AVES -

Yes, that's what's intended (your first suggestion, I mean). Just undo enough of the trim to locate the bush and slip a piece of wood behind whist you drill (or take more rivets out and cut the hole with a Q-Max) then rivet the trim back. I think the trim sits too tightly to the chassis to leave room for a blanking grommet to fit when the strut' not in use, but the empty hole is hardly noticeable. You could always put a short button-headed allen screw in the bush when you have a passenger.

Once the hole in the trim is cut, about 1/2 inch diameter, the Petty strut can be bolted on and off as required. A two minute job before and after each event. I just stuff a plastic trim grommet into the empty hole after removal.

I suppose the use in the bedroom might prevent you from 'rolling' out of bed? It is an anti roll bar after all!!

Andrew

Woolworths sell gardening "kneelers" for 99p each which have just the right consistency for headrest filling. That's what I used when putting mine together. I mounted the foam on a hardwood backing, covered the whole thing in black vinyl, stapled the vinyl in place using a heavy duty staple gun and then mounted the whole thing onto the metal bracket using two bolts having first drilled the necessary fixing holes in the wood backing and the metal plate. In fact, my wife was the one who came up with the above suggestions, I think she's a latent engineer!

Do I need to fit the 'petty' strut to be FIA compliant?

Can't see anything that suggests I do but thought I'd better check....

Got my sprint number through today - 48.

Cheers

Piers

PS - anyone else fitting an FIA roll bar - fit the bolt for the passengers left shoulder harness first, before bolting anything else down....

I used some of the self-adhesive foam which comes which the Caterham SVA kit for protecting a passengers knees on my head rest. But then I switched to a Tillet seat, which has an intergral headrest...

Wozza - for the full cage, you have to build your own head rest out of ali plate or something. It then bolts into the three bolt holes on the rear cross member.