Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Creaking noises

geordieracer

My supersprint (1990 crossflow)creaks when I get out. I'm not fat (14 stone) and I don't jump up and down! Is it the dampers? Is it bushes? Also, I've got an oil leak from the sump that hasn't been fixed yet. The underside needs a good jetwash (any danger in that?) and I'm wondering if the oil over many months couls have caused any damage to anything (eg bushes). *confused*

Mine's a 1990 X flow too.

I have been informed by a source close to Ratrace, that jetwashes are not always a good idea - especially in the winter. They filter and recycle the water from previous car washes...this is fine, save that the filter doesn't remove salt...and you might be blasting a fairly saline solution into your cracks. If you'll pardon the expression.

Blast its underside with warm Waxoyl instead

And my sump developed a very serious leak on Sunday. Scraped it off the Hendon bypass. Leaking like the Exxon Valdiz (so new sump, and new front suspension to get the ride height up).

Just check that the oil levels are OK - forgive me if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious!

*smile*

Thanks all.

Norman, I'm in North Yorkshire near Skipton. A few miles away! Thanks for the offer. I've seen your site and I think I might give you a call when I'm looking at 'bigger' bhp and more power 😬

I'll try WD40 and avoid the jet wash and see how it goes.

Julian, Re Car Washes. I was a director of the company that had the conveyor car wash in St Johns Wood 20+ years ago. Most washes have interceptors to clean the water and the final result in ours was as pure as tap water. Can't speak for other makes of wash so this post was a waste of time really. The suns shining so I'm going to beat up the Snake.

norman verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

OIl on the underside will eventually (quite quickly, actually) reach the A-Frame bush on the axle/De Dion and rot it. These clunk when k*******d - but usually under acceleration/braking rather than getting out. The tolerances on the springs/shocks in teh rear turrets are CLOSE, so many do squeak/rattle/knock here. WD is a temporary fix.

Seem to remember a little while ago that this came up and there was reference to the front A frame bushes on the rear of the car which can give a sort of moan/creak heard often when getting out of the car. Something to do with the correct washers on the bolts securing the A frame to the chassis not being used.