Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting A Boot Cover - Arghhhhh!!

YellowSeven

I'm trying to fit a boot cover, the front to the bulk head was no problem but now I need to add poppers (Dura-dots) to the rear section that pulls down over the boot.

How do I do this? You need to give the popper a good whack with a hammer to get it to spread but I seem to have no where solid to rest the dish of the dura dot to act as a base?

Also is there a more up to data popper tool on the market? The pin & dish is rubbish!!

All help appreciated!!

Oz

I took the same approach as MadMalc.

1) made sure I was happy with alignment at the bulkhead end and temporarily mounted it.

2) Used masking tape on the inside of the boot cover to mark positions for the first two poppers by marking where the bases where (I worked from the centre of the car back round the corners IYSWIM).

3) Removed the cover and punched holes through the cover using a leather punch, and assembled the popper onto the cover.

4) Used the Durable Dot tool (a punch and base) to fit the two poppers. The tool isn't too bad, despite what some may say. It is vital though that the base part is on something solid like the floor to make sure the popper centre 'tube' peens over successfully.

5) Re-fitted the hood and repeated steps 2) to 4) until all poppers were done.

6) Stood back to admire my work, and realised that the hood cover supplied was the wrong one 😳 - I had the new 'Caged' bar, and the hood was for the old one - big gap round the base of the bar. CC sent me a new cover out next day *thumbup*, and used the same technique for that as well.

About 30-40 minutes tops.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

You must use the durable dot punch and cup....it works perfectly, if used properly 😳. Once you've marked the popper position using the impression in masking tape, run a drill though it, then fold the boot cover so you can rest it on a block of wood positioned on the chassis rail to which the front of the boot cover is attached. I've done lots of them this way.

Paul

I used a Leather Punch to make the holes, using the masking tape trick for location.

I bought a 'G' clamp and mounted the "Cup" to one side and the cut-down "Pin" of the tool to the other side - I used "Plastic Metal".

A gentle twist is all that's required for a perfect closure of the rivet part - no hammering required 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 22 Sep 2004 18:47:53

• Leadership Team

Dave, can I borrow your tool *eek*

I've still got a number of fasteners to finish on my new tonneau and rumour has it that the tool you've come up with is ideal *thumbup*

Will you be at Daresbury next week?

Stu.

To make the holes in the cover, make sure that the cover is laying smoothly round all the corners, then feel for the male popper through the vinyl, and make the hole using a small phillips screwdriver.

Duck for cover at this sacrilige - but it has a sharp point, can take pressure, and gives a smooth round hole.

Once all the holes are made, take the cover off the car, and place the dish on a brick and use the pin with a stout hammer (500gm being the lightest for this job - butter to hit lightly with a heavy hammer than hit a light hammer hard!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!