Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1800 K Series Clarification

Silver 21

• Area Representative
I have a 52mm tb fitted to my 1.6 SS K. Does that now mean I would be in Class 4?

No, you wouldn't be put in class 4/5.

*arrowright*52mm TB are NOT ALLOWED

*arrowright*Programable ECUs are NOT ALLOWED

*arrowright*Porting to Head is NOT ALLOWED?

Only applies to 1800's. 1600's are OK as long as they have a plenum.

never mind all this ecu and hottle vody stuff 😬

Can I run a supercharger in Class 5 🤔 , it will only be a little supercharger running a few psi . I mean it would hardly blow your air bed up never mind a K series .It will only produce a "little" extra power .

You considered opinion on this would be smashing super great *thumbup* *cool*

Dave

C7 TOPhere *tongue*

There was a nicely built Ariel Atom at Combe the other day with an integrated roll cage and a supercharged K-Series. Looked like an Eaton M45 blower as fitted to the Merc SLK. Owner claimed 290bhp, but it wasn't lapping any faster than my Blackbird so not totally convincing.

Could make an interesting alternative to the BEC onslaught! 😬

Dave J - were you on the pop early this evening *thumbup* 😬 😬

BB - Thanks for your clarification *thumbup* - that's good enough for me and it makes things very clear. Having "competed" in class 4 last year, I don't want to go back there with 140bhp. I can't be arsed to argue about the 52mm TB issue in relation to 1.8 K's, because I doubt it makes that much difference anyway. I've done OK in class 2 this year, but i've had to work bloody hard for it against a 1.6k and an X-flow. The class seems to work well (at least from my perspective), so I hope it's not going to be spoilt by anyone who's intent on winning a hollow victory with silly mods that belong elsewhere.

Andy Nicholls

C7 AJN

Dave J

You blow enough hot air without fitting anything extra to your car 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 (only joking)

In answer to the question, the phrase NO springs to mind

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2004 Speed Championship - 9 events, 2005 Speed Championship - Watch this space *cool*

Dave

When the drink habit gets so bad that you have difficulty reading it's time to stop 😬

From Supp Regs

Notes:

Cars in classes 1 to 5 must run in a road legal condition (i.e. taxed, insured and MOT’d where applicable). Competitors are advised that they may be asked to provide documentary proof of this at an event

Notes:

Classes 1 to 5 must have normally aspirated engines.

Graham - what you say is correct with the potential for 1600 k's

but having asked the other 1600k owners in class 3 no one seems to be going down this route, the furthest people are planning are the exhaust, tb, ecu route which should give around 145 ish, but still possibly less torque than the 1800's

so things should be quite equal

and as David N Says it always amazes me that we want to restrict k seriers cars in class 2&3 yet are perfectly happy to have a set of rules that permit all steel xflow's with the potential for 190 bhp, and all steel lotus twinks with even more....

*confused*

rob *smile*

• Area Representative

Rob,

I agree with the above point.

If someone chooses to enter in a quick XF, they have a significant advantage over most class 2/3 K's

Looking at the number of class 2/3 entries, perhaps there is scope for another class or 2, where restricted K's are not competing against unrestricted XF's and Twinks.

the main problem with having too many classes is that we may end up with more classes with only handful of cars, i think 6 classes is about right, however for the more popular events such as curbough we can have over 20 cars in anyone class *eek*

I am not looking for other classes, just trying to keep the 'debate' representative *confused*

I am all for keeping things as they are (inlcuding the clarification of this thread)...

rob

I am happy with the rules as they are, but if we see more high powered Xflows or Lotus comes along then some action will need to be taken. I hope the responce will be to penalise the Xflow's rather than give a green light for the 1.6 and 1.8 K's to upgrade. I think we need to keep class 2 &3 so any member can come along and be compedative.

David

In terms of the high performance X-flows we are only really talking about Dave M's car, as the rest of the top 5 in class 3 were all K's.

As for next year, with Graham likely to change classes, that only leaves my car as the other X-flow and I was well shy of fastest times and its not looking like I will have the wedge to go Mcfarlane chasing with upgrades ☹️

Keep it as it was this year I reckon.

Steve

The crossflow issue in class 2/3 will solve itself with the passage of time as said last year . I have no real plans for next year but expect that I will only do a couple of events with my crossflow. There is an outside chance I may get someone to change my car from a crossflow to a K or another 16v engine, so I may do a couple more if that happens. Workload studying and family things are too time consuming to contemplate a serious season at the moment ☹️.