Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 7 on £8K budget

Brucey

Hi,

I've hankered after a 7 since I sold my Lotus Elan S4 some 23 years ago to buy my first house!

I'm a bit amased to find most of the 7's I can afford are still using basically the same engine.

As I would like to take my 7 to work on sunny days (50 mile round trip), I'm ideally looking for a 1400 K series 7, 5 speed with De-dion, and preferably not on a Q plate. I think I also actually prefer Clam Shell wings (am I the only one left!)and 'Prisoner' wheels.

I havn't actually driven a K series yet but I'm not after out & out performance, just that grin I used to get when driving my Elan. I don't mind doing a bit of work (I had to put my Elan back together most weekends) but do not want a money pit. Is there anyone out there who can help? (especially now its started to rain again). I will also consider nice X flow examples as I have to admit the De dion 5 speed Caterham 7 I drove from a dealer was nice but a bit juicy for my taste. I live in kent and am prepared to travel up to 100 miles for the right car.

I don't have a car to offer but at this sort of price you have a reasonable choice of cars. a 1.4 (maybe supersport) is in the frame here at the 10 year old level, especially if you accept one needing a bit of work to tidy it up. A XF is definitely available and 8k will get you a good one. There have recently been a few at between 6 and 8k which would be a very good way into 7 ownership. As you want it for enjoying yourself round the lanes there is no need for a 200bhp monster, anything over 100bhp will be a quick road car and very painless to insure. You may also consider a Zetec, they are out of fashion here (hence cheap)and never made officially by caterham but it's a very good engine. There was one in your price range recently, it sounded nice.

Happy shopping.

Many thanks for the advice. You have lifted my spirits! I still can't understand the difference between supersport, supersprint, etc. I thought supersprint had De dion, and supersport live axle, but they both seem to have either!. Is it just engine power?

I havn't driven a live axle 7 for over 20 years, but am assuming a De dion setup is better. Any thoughts on this?

If I got a X flow, how difficult/practicable would it be to put say a fuel injected zetec engine in at a later date? ie engine mounts, gearbox, linkages, weight, fuel economy/ power etc.

SuperSprint.. 95-100bhp

SuperSport.. 135bhp maybe 120is

both on weber 40'.. dont think they did the sprint witn DD axle.. earlier cars had 4x boxes later came the 5x. no differance if you dont to alot of motorway miles as the 5th is only realy good above 70 and to cruise,, if you want just for a afternoon drive the 4x is ok (and 15kg lighter).

LA vs DD.. ohh here we go again.. I have a LA n like it.. a friend has a DD and its more comforting, like a road car, but I like the LA feel. each to his own.

changing a XF to a zetec is possible, loads have done so.. but its not cheap, about 4k+ beter off just getting the XF redone n it will last another 50k miles.

Oh.. note the SuperSport uses weak piston rings and its commonly said here that a SSport with 15-20k miles on it might need new rings etc.. the SSprint doesnt suffer this as its less power.

you could get a SSport LA for 7k'ish + 1k for a engine refresh at somewhere like Vulcanengineering or Protune and get back a nice std 130ish XF what wont burn oil, will do 25mpg on carbs and last another 50k miles

'Going round the corner givin' it a handfull'

Er, Chris, are you sure?

Quote "Oh.. note the SuperSport uses weak piston rings and its commonly said here that a SSport with 15-20k miles on it might need new rings etc.. the SSprint doesnt suffer this as its less power."

The SuperSport describes the tuned k series engines which don't AFAIK have a weakness in the piston ring department. (Head gaskets are another story...)

The XFs came in Sprint (100ish bhp), pretty reliable on the whole, and SuperSprint, with the pistons from a 1300 *confused* as a cost cutting measure. These IIRC are the ones that are suspect after 20k miles (designed for 60bhp, developing twice that) and you may need to renew them with forged (read expensive) ones. As you say £1000 for a proper engine rebuild when it needs it gets you a very good car.

I agree fully with the rest of your post. I am a believer in buying basically what you want at the outset. If you want a Zetec, buy one with the work done rather than a XF plus 4k and months of work. I think they are a bit of a bargain, 8k for a 160+bhp, injection, very reliable 7, takes some beating.

Is there really no one out there with a road going k series 7 in their garage that they no longer use? I guess I'll have to start looking for a nice MX5 then! £8.5k is even getting to the bottom end of the Elise market.

Many thanks to all those people who replied with help and advise. I'll continue my quest.

Brucey

Don't forget the 1600Vx 8v. You might find one or two of those around in your price range, including ex-race cars (don't write these off, they can often be bargains with loads of extras, and many will have been extremely well looked after and serviced. Plus the Vx engine is very reliable). Someone on here has tuned the engine to 135bhp pretty cheaply as well.

Try the Graduates website here - there might be one or two on there.

Don't get an MX5 - they don't even come close to a 100bhp 7!

Edited by - Martin H on 2 Sep 2004 22:16:54

I have a very special 1700 X Flow Supersprint 135bhp, 4 speed, live axle, very very smart and only 3700 miles from new. OK it is on a Q plate but was built professionally and gives you that smile you are looking for when you drive it. All the sensible thongs have been done without becoming a real petrol head / boy racer. I am looking for about £9k but you have nothing to do but drive and enjoy and not spend a fortune every year tuning and tweaking. Let me know if you are intereested I am in West Sussex. Happy hunting ....

Keith