Click here if you are having website access problems ×

small number plates

Tonmawrie

I didn't receive a fine, just a vehicle defects notification. Gives you 14 days to sort the defect. This has to be signed and verified by an MOT testing station. This is where it CAN cost as they can charge you for filling in this form.

Dunno if Plod can actually fine you though????

I think my smaller plate may then go back onto my car as they are only velcro'd on. Silly I know, but the big one is a PITA and looks rubbish *tongue*

Dannyboy - 92,000 miles and rising *tongue*

from what I gather have an illegally sized number plate CAN result in a fine/points.

However this is pretty unlikely... strangely not having a number plate at all (it must have just fallen off Office...) will just result in the defects notification etc mentioned below.

Though I've been driving around on and off for a year without a front number plate (they really did fall off!!) and have yet to be stopped.

You can get fined or a defect notice for small plates.

You cannot get points for a small plate.

Number plates do not come into the MOT test.

When we used to occasionally get pulled for stupidly tiny plates on the bikes,the MOT tester used to laugh and just stamp the form,as in his words,"The test doesn't involve the plates."

Not sure that's true any more normal. At a recent tin top MOT it failed on the condition (water had got between the layers) of the rear plate and prompted a failure and a new set of plates.

Unless of course this was a scam just to flog some new plates.

Steve.

recently got a vehicle defect thingy for small plates - although I had them on the back as well which probably didn't help,

went through the MOT book with at my local test station when I went to get the form signed off,

MOT has clauses for letter spacing and type face used but not for overall size - so a small plate with the correct type face and relative letter spacing will pass the MOT,

however, this doesn't mean that it's legal! *mad*

Although it's not such a big problem for 7'ers if you get pulled for the small plate the BiB can then take a greater interest in other aspects of the car so if there is anything dubious you can get picked up for that as well.

It's usually bikers that get pulled over with illegal plates because in the words of a constable who pulled a mate of mine over "you bikers only put small plates on so you can bugger off without your plate getting taken"

The most annoying thing when your plate falls off is if it takes the fixing screws as well cos then it looks like you never had a plate on in the first place. *wink*

A slowly increasing number of photos here plus a shameless link to my company as I cannot do it from Blatchat

Stick on not strictly legal, although I have one and it is 3/4 of standard size from here, (you need to phone them if you want a stick on). I think it would take a pretty mean BiB to kick up a fuss about it, I'm happy to just take the chance and worry about it if I ever need to. There are some people who get away with no front plate at all *eek*. I also have 3/4 scale on the back

*tongue* to you too!

They are 392mm X 85mm and the typeface is the legal one but the letters are 3/4 size. I have a stick-on for the front and a rigid one at the back, bought from GTGrafix by phone. There WWW site has a fun number plate builder so if you want something special go play!

Edited to add that the stick on is very thin and probably stretchy - so takes a bit of care to get it on right, I think it is a one chance job *eek*

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

Edited by - Grubbster on 27 Aug 2004 14:11:42

I have just had the car MOTed with a small front plate and was told by local garage (strict jobsworth looking thru rule book type) that you have to be able to read it at a certain distance - his 75 yr old father was able to do it so he passed it ?!?!?! there was no size involved

Jai

I now have a red 91 Supersprint