Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion - Damper mounting failure

Andy Best

Hi,

Just looking for some comments the De Dion tube on my 97 Caterham has failed at the point where the damper bolts to it (as small welded threaded tube on the underside of the De Dion) it has ripped the metal of the tube.

I wondered if this type of damage can be repaired and the mounting point strengthend on both sides. Ha sanyone undertaken this type of repair/mod?

The alternative is to buy a new tube from Caterham but based on the design I guess that will fail in the same manner unless there has been some improvements, can anyone comment?

Thanks

Andy

The failier you have experienced has been seen before . One cause was stated as the damper body working loose on the mounting if you dont keep your nuts tight . Although others have kept their nuts tight and its still failed .

The latest tube has strengthened damper points , amongst other revisions .

Dave

I had this happen to my DeDion tube last year. Al my nuts were done up tight *eek*

I spoke to a few people about re-welding the tube, but the general consensus was to buy a new tube.

The new tube is a lot thicker than the old one, it cost about £230 if my memory serves me correctly.

Daren.

Do these tend to fail in a catastrophic manner? ie punting you off the road, or do they give you warning before completely failing?

I expect mine will fail at some point, I guess I should buy a new one as a matter of course.

Thanks for the comments, my nuts were certainly tight, looks like I need to go for the new one £215 + VAT the current price.

Julian,

I noticed mine quite by chance whilst under the car at the weekend - I will be taking a bit more notice in this area in the future as I could imagine that it could break fully under normal driving conditions and give you a bit of a moment

Andy

• Area Representative

Andy

I am sure it can probably be repaired and strengthened. I can have a go if you want - won't cost anything to try and if you are still unhappy you can still buy a new one. Give me a ring if you wish.

Paul R.

I too swapped to the middle mounts before any failure signs.

I got nice ali = 1kg lighter each Freestyle dampers.

The tack on lower damper mount for the post 96 Dedion tube is a weak point and a bodged after thought IMO. Hence new tube is vastly strengthen (not just in this area) and weighs in a good deal heavier!

Edited by - SteveA7 on 4 Aug 2004 20:04:54

Paul,

Thanks for the offer - I will take you up on it as you say there's nothing to loose! 😬

The car's off to Arch next week so it will probably be a few weeks before I can start to consider the repair of the De Dion tube.

I will ring you to discuss.

Andy

Does anyone know whether you can just bolt the standard bilstein dampers through the middle hole, obviously you'll have to wind the adjustable platforms lower, but is there enough thread on them and enough travel in the damper to do this?

Julians,

I don't think the Bilstein damper will wind down far enough and keep a sensible ride height. You might be able to have a new circlip groove machined in or run a shorter spring ie lose the progressive spring the but then the plunger might be in the wrong place for optimum damping...

Thinking about it I think the damper body is simply too long!

I never investigated it though..

Edited by - stevefoster on 7 Aug 2004 15:55:49