Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 Speed Quaife Gear Selection Problems

F355GTS

Always the way, did a trackday today and have another tomorrow if I can fix, initially the gearbox seemed reluctant ot go into gear then the lever went like stirring porridge with no decernable gate, it then seemed to work but out of sync ie 3rd 4th and 5th positions were not available, reverse location selected 1st etc

Any ideas?

Mark

Further update

The small plastic bit that the gear lever slots into has broken and now fallen off, would this be enough to stop gear selection? anybody got one in the Reading area that I can get from you this evening?

Mark

Adam/ Graeme

thanks for the response, I've taken the top cover off the box and there is a problem, the selector forks look fine but on the selector shaft there is a horseshoe bit of metal, this was hanging down in the box, the corresponding part of metal it sits on is able to slide up and down the shaft which I believe it shouldn't be able to, there appears to be a split pin through it and the shaft which has sheared meaning when the gear lever is thrown it's actually not doing anything to the selector forks

Mark

Update following dropping it off at R&R

It's having an uprated Selector Shaft (to remove the need for the plastic bit that the lever locates into) and a dual pinned, machined from solid, bit to replace the bit that broke

At least 2 syncro rings are broken ☹️

The gearbox has not been built correctly *confused* Apparently only the gasket was stopping the layshaft from moving forward into the bellhousing *eek*

Mark

There are early and late gearboxes. The late ones have a cover over the end of the layshaft fitted externally, small round cover with two allen screws holding it on just below the input shaft.

There should be two kinds of bellhousings, one with a recess in it to miss the layshaft cover on later boxes and one without. But as the later bellhousings will fit either gearboxes often people skimp and just make the one kind.

So we have a potential problem. With an early gearbox and a properly designed bellhousing, the layshaft can't move out of the gearbox cos the bellhousing holds it in. But with a later type bellhousing (with the layshaft cover cutout) and an early gearbox with no cover then as you say the layshaft can move into the space left for the cover and come out of mesh at the other end causing all sorts of havoc inside. Guess how I know that?

Chelspeed

I'm sorry to hear you found out the hard way, people say I'm unlucky with cars but perhaps this shows I get my fair share of good luck too

Yes I have a newer type bellhousing with the cutout but the box has no cover as described, however it will have by Wednesday *smile*

Mark

I just had my quaife box rebuilt, and the rebuilder said the same to me (re the bellhousing not stopping the layshaft from coming out), so they added a plate to the bellhousing to stop it.

As it happens, the layshaft had stayed put for 30 trackdays and thousands of road miles, maybe I got lucky.

I wonder hoe many other quaife boxes are out there with this potential problem.