Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheels + tires for road use

StephaneM

Hello,

I know that there was several topics on this subject, but I prefer to have your opinion before ordering. I have a set of MB wheels + A032R (185 & 205/60x13). My car is a Vx with ~ 200 hp. I want a second set of wheels to be used on road when I have a lot of kilometers to drive, or when extreme grip is not needed. I think I will order to George Polley one set of KN minator (6 & 7x13) + a set of Falken ZE502 (185 & 205/60x13). I prefer to keep all my wheels with 13" if one day I want to use them with "good" tires on track.

What are your opinions & advises about that.

Cheers

Stéphane

13" tyres (road spec are like hens teeth over 185 section. bridgestone re720's not available in 205 section. kuhmo 712 is available in 215 /50.falkens have been reported as pile ofsh^& , but that was for 1A track use, suppose for plain road use they should be ok. the problem is 205/60 13 is discontinued in most manufactures listing because no current production car (last one being capri 2.8 i) uses them.

have blown something! I'm sure

I tested some ZE-502 about 4 years ago in 185 width against the equivalent Yoko 510, Bridgestone 720 Yoko 539 and a Toyo F3. It was harder rubber than all of these and I didn't think it suited my car. It has very thin sidewalls so needs to run at a higher pressure than normal i.e. at least 22psi. Other people have had some success with it, but it doesn't seem as popular as it was.

As mentioned before there is not a lot of choice in 205/60 x 13. However I think the Toyo F3 is still available in this size. When I tested it I thought it better than the Falken. It was certainly a little softer.

I am just about to bin my 502s. I got them for sprinting on list 1A tyres but to be honest they are rather hard and although they do grip moderately well if worked hard at the correct pressure I don't think they are any great shakes compared to the softer rubber options like 32s or 48s. The up side is they NEVER wear out.

I'm putting on 32s for a track day at Castle Combe on 23 August having driven other peoples cars with these tyres and the difference is very marked (in the dry that is).

C7 CDW