Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuse keeps blowing: brakelights/reversing light

gmdh555

Hi, I had that exact same problem whilst going through my SVA test, turned out to be a dodgy bulb that was shorting out the circuit...... Good luck... *smile*

David

GF04RCE is built running and on the road.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

Simon - I guess your reversing light wasn't working then. I need to check that, but the first time I replaced the fuse I'm sure the reversing light was working afterwards...

David - was it one of the brakelight bulbs or the reversing light?

Thanks for the suggestions *smile*

Gareth

Yellow and black 1.8 VX, pics here

I had this problem throughout the Le Mans trip. Good marketing effort for the super wide track as everyone thought I was not braking for any corners....a couple of days ago I discovered the problem was a badly (read not) insulated unused connector on the loom for the reverse switch.

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

Good marketing effort for the super wide track as everyone thought I was not braking for any corners

Yes - I'm sure everyone at Oulton Park yesterday thought I was either (a) a driving god or (b) a tw@t 😳

Fit the reverse light switch (polythene bag marked 'miscellaneous') into the side of the gearbox. This is accessed via the hole in the RH side of the transmission tunnel. The switch should be inserted finger tight and the tightened a further quarter turn using a suitable sized spanner. Connect the wiring loom to the reverse switch. From the cockpit, insert the large grommet (polythene bag marked 'miscellaneous') to cover the hole.

Is there any access to the reverse light switch from e.g. under the car rather than through this hole?

Can you get to it by removing the tranmission tunnel top? I only ask because I need to replace my switch as well. I have had a look but it looks quite tight to the side?

cheers

Strongy - trying my best to convince 'er indoors that there's no need to sell it *wink*

Strongy - looks like you'd have to. I just jacked up the front of the car to have a decent look underneath: I can see enough to be happy the wiring's okay, but I wouldn't be able to get the switch out.

So, there's a new fuse in, and no sign of it blowing just from starting the car and pressing the brake pedal/selecting reverse gear. All lights coming on as expected. I reckon if I were to drive about a bit it would blow, but I can't see any dodgy wiring or bare connectors anywhere. Still struggling for a solution ☹️

*arrowup*If all else fails suggest you lift the pedal box cover (8 screws) and check the split pin which goes thro the clevis pin on the top of the clutch pedal.

On my SV, the leg of the split pin was moving around as the clutch was operated and periodically shorting onto the bend in the male spade connector on the side of the brake light switch. Symptom - random and unpredictable brake/reverse light fuse blowing.

Spent a whole weekend crawling under the car looking for faulty wiring, taking out the reverse light switch, checking bulbs, even fitting a flashing LED to tell me when I put the brakes on if I still had power to the lights or had the fuse blown again.

Then saw a post by TonyK / November7 about this problem. *idea* Looked at the pin and there was evidence of arc-ing and melting on the end of the leg of the pin and also a little black burnt spot on the bend of the spade connector on the brake light switch where the pin leg was touching.

Bent end of pin back round clevis pin and job sorted *thumbup*

It is a simple fix if this is the problem.

Good Luck.

Peter

Red Roadsport SV

FP53FHB