Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can I use a horn button for the headlight flashers ?

Nick Woods

For the umpteenth time I have broken off the stalk on my headlamp flasher switch *mad* *mad* Its mounted on the small removable panel at the side of the scuttle so I keep catching it when getting in and out.

Rather than move it, which will leave a hole, I'm wondering if I can use a horn press-button instead ? (BTW this is the flasher switch, not the main-dip switch)

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 Jun 2004 09:16:26

You could use an ITW momentary pushbutton switch as commonly fitted for a "big red" starter button. These are rated for 10A so should handle the h/lamp current. About 8 quid from RS.

N.B. PLEASE disconnect the battery before messing with the wiring, as the feed to the flash switch is unfused 12V. Short that to the chassis and the wire will evaporate! Not recommended... *cool*

Why not just replace the breakable plastic toggles with stronger metal jobbies 🤔

That way you just rip your trousers when you catch the switch rather than breaking anything on the car. 😬

Brent

Zetec 209

Reassuringly Expensive

Hmmm. Unless I've misread the diagram, the relay is operated by the main lights on-off switch and the output from it feeds into the main-dip switch.

The output from the main-dip and from the flasher are connected and feed directly to the lights, so the switch needs to handle 10A or more

Nick

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Thanks Nigel *thumbup*

I decided to pop out to a local car electricians and have bought a 10amp press-button switch for £3.61 which almost fits the hole I already have

Thanks for the link Graham - the next time I break one of other switches I'll get it from there *thumbup*

Nick

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 Jun 2004 13:48:54