Click here if you are having website access problems ×

QR1118S Thread sizes?

philwaters

I wonder if anyone can help. I am in the process of changing the upper links on my classic front suspension over to a DD upper wishbone. I have bought the right the bal joints (QR1118S) to suit the wishbines and the taper in the upright, but I need a couple of new locknuts for the wishbone thread and a couple of nylocs for the upright thread.

Does anyone know what theses would be? I've measured the wishbone part and I think it is an M16x1.0 but I'd like confirmed if possible (any online data sheets?)

Thanks.

Phil Waters

I can confirm ball joints are M16 x 1, the tapered bit on the ball is an imperial thread, it takes a 3/4 or 11/16 spanner if I recall correctly, no idea what thread this equates to though. You normally get both locknuts for the stem and nylocs for the ball part in with the balljoints. Did your's not have any?

Hi, thanks both,

I was pretty sure it was M16x1, but I've not used my pitch gauge in anger before - so a good test.

Yes, the new parts did come with nylocs, but they have the Yellow insert, and they are really hard - I check and found this thread here and so thought I would pre-empt a problem and get a couple with the usual white.. my local bolt guy couldn't find a match, but I have a couple of places that I can try next - especially now that I know the other one I can phone to check first!

Phil Waters

Edit:

Found out the Nylocs are M14 x 1.5 - just in case anyone does a search sometime in the future...

Edited by - philwaters on 28 Jun 2004 18:43:12

When I replaced my ball joints I also received the ones with the nylocs with the yellow inserts but before putting them on took an nyloc from the old balljoint, carefully cut the insert off and then used this 'plain nut' to tighten up the balljoint taper. Once I was satisfied that the taper was tight in the upright I took off the plain nut and replaced it with the new nyloc. Worked fine for both sides with no need to have any clamps, or people standing on top of the joint!

Obviously you do need to have a spare nut in the first place.

Tim

I've replaced this rod end on 3 cars to date, and have never had a problem doing up the lock nut. If the you have the correct taper for the upright, then it should do up fine. People normally have a problem, when then try and fit the de-dion rod end to an trunnion upright, and the taper doesn't fit exactly *smile*