Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Pressure Sender - testing?

Southsea Seven

According to my pressure gauge I had lost all oil pressure whilst driving recently. There would appear to be no obvious oil leaks so I assume the cause is:

A) The sender unit is broken

B) The wiring to the gauge has disconnected

c) The oil pump is broken

Any ideas as to how I can test the sender unit? Has anyone come across this before? The boys at Dartford suggest the sender unit over anything else.........

*cool*

Dunno if you can test the sender but you can put a common pressure gauge like they are used for say air compressors in the place of the sender just to see how much pressure you have at that point.

If you have the normal pressure then the sender has been faulty

• Area Representative

Very very likely to be the sender - they are always giving up. Easy to replace, but about £27 to buy.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Capilliary are good. Had them in a racing mini years ago. Utterly reliable, but now I prefer Spa gauges. Digital readout for ultimate accuracy and for items like oil pressure that aren't supposed to change, a digital read-out is my preference. I'd never replace "variable" reading like revs or speedo with a digital read-out, but for all others I get info quicker from a digital gauge... and the Spa gauges are utterly accurate.

I'd bet you a tenner your problem is the sender. It's not that it is a bad item, but it is hung out the bottom of the engine where it gets a lot of environmental... er... attention. When people move to Spa gauges, they have to convert the threads for the new sender so end up buying a piece of pipe about 30cm long so they can mount the sender out of harms way.

junk the standard gauge its rubbish and get a mechanical unit all the racing bods use them i,m using a 20+ year old mechanical unit in my 2002 car the caterham unit gave up the ghost on my first track it did not like the mixture of high rev,s and a dry sump pump going at full bore.