Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crash helmet - stupid question?

JonnyS

I want to buy a crash helmet for taking my seven on some track days. I haven't got a clue which are the good makes. Also, are there any major things to consider? Do race crash helmets differ from ones used by motorcyclists? Etc etc.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

Most track days do not fuss too much about the crash helmet you use - I have never known a check other than making sure you have one on and done up - so you could use a helmet you use on a motorbike without any hassle - I did when I started.

However, if you catch the bug seriously - very good chance you will - then my bike helmet (ACU approved etc for Motocross) did not meet the spec needed for racing per the MCA specifications - so I bought a new one when I wanted to start racing.

If you want prices for a decent race legal helmet - look in Demon Tweeks or Grand Prix Racewear catalogues or web sites - last time I checked the prices were similar - expect to pay about £300 and up - I invested over £400 for my Arai 2 years ago.

Good luck

Colin

There are two esential differences between Motor Cyclist's helmets and open car drivers. Ours have to be fireproof, while motor cyclists have usually got off after the fire we may take longer. Thiers can be heavier because the forces on a bike work through the centre line of the driver while in a car they try to take your head off sideways.

Scrutineers do check the BS marks sometimes.

Buy a motorcycle helmet from such a place as J&S, Carnells or Motorcycle City. You will be amazed at the prices. You certainly will not be ripped off as with your friendly car people (how do they charge such outrageous prices?). Weight, what rot - motorcycle helmets are probably more relevant in a 7 than any other and believe me they are MUCH lighter! As for make - how big is your wallet? If you are contemplating to spend such as our correspondents, the Arai or Shoei they simply are THE best. Depends on the shape of your head, seriously you will suit one or the other. But, £100 to £150 will buy you a very good product. I speak both as a motorcyclist (of many years) and a 7ist. One final thought, buy a full face, you will be amazed at the serenity and safety. Car drivers know nowt about headgear!

Jonathan,

Don't forget fit, when it comes to the crunch a badly fitting helmet will do it's own damage. If you go to a competent bike/racing shop you should get good advice as to fit, try this even if you subsequently go mail order. Different makes, like ski boots, make different shaped helmets, not just absolute size - so you may not get the one with the fancy graphics you had your eye on if you've a wierd shaped head smile.gif.

It should be tight enough that your cheeks are pressed in. Mine also has a very small aperture so that the cushioning at the back fits very snugly against my neck. Complete sod to get on, but will stay in place with no slop in an accident.

I agree with the full face comment, when it's pissing down or on the motorway a full face makes it as comfortable as a "normal" car.

For some reason this will get you ridiculed, I've on many occasions heard "What! you wear a crash helmet in a car !?" nobody blinks an eye at someone wearing a crash helmet on a bike but add two more wheels, and you're a nutter... It's part of the price we pay for knowing it's we who are right and everyone else who's mad.

Cheers, Simon.

Simon

Your last comment about wearing a crash helmet on the road in a 7 is interesting. I wonder what percentage of 7 drivers wear a crash helmet for normal road use? I've seen 1 in my travels.

Jonathan

One of the main draws of a Seven is the wind in your hair and the raw feedback of noise and feeling as you blat through corners...

One of the big disadvantages of a seven (on the motorway) is the neverending wind tugging your hair, constant roar in your ears and buffeting as you tediously rumble on at 80mph (15mph on the M25)

In this scenario I wear my suit, helmet and gloves (and possibly a walkman with Queens greatest hits) in which case all of the above are illiminated and I can cruise in relative comfort unbothered by the weather.

On blatting roads I wouldn't dream of wearing one teeth.gif But on the M25, nah! pass me my lid !

I recently invested in a lid and whilst the bike offering come in an array of pretty patterns and colours with smaller £'ss on the tag the main driving force for me buying a proper car lid was that it is fire retardent.

Not a nice thought but pause for one moment, your in your car and it catches fire. Not nice is it ? Now imagine you lid is also on fire ?

Still want a bike helment ?

I am the proud owner of a nice Shoei car helmet and a nice head, and long may i have both.

James