Click here if you are having website access problems ×

composite wings

Beej

a mate of mine is technical director at a composites firm who mostly manufacture very high quality parts for the aero and aero space industry. They have a material which, he tells me, is stronger lighter and no more expensive than carbon. I am potentially prepared to cover tooling costs (which = lots).. how much are you prepared to pay for front and/or rear wings

sensible answers only please.

cheers.

oh blimey don't ask me what it actually is, the brand name is something like "twintex" but I may have misheard and it could be playtex :-). I am just repeating what he told me. Its probably shredded wheat and play dough - which would at least give you plenty of colour options.

I will find out ASAP.

hi,

can you get your friend to send you some pictures of the material so you can post them up.......

If the price is right and it looks good, i'll be very interested. Would he only be able to do wings or could he do dashboards etc.

Thanks.

None of the applications on that link stress the lightweight nature of the material. Is your contact confident he can offer weight savings over current carbon components?

Not noticed an avalanche of twintex components (or playtex for that matter) appearing in F1 or WRC applications....

Beej - Please note that this is not criticism of you, just a note of scepticism of the claims which you have obviously passed on in good faith *smile*