Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12V socket wiring - guidance please

SteveP

OK, first off (to set expectations) I know very little about electrics, and a car's wiring loom confuses me, but I'd like to add a ciggy socket to my R300 to power a camera detector and to allow me to plug in my battery conditioner.

I know a fair number of people have done this and would appreciate some details of how to do it. I have all the basic tools, but frankly not a clue where to start.

Anybody got some step by step instructions?

SteveP

easy peasy... run a cable through the 'hole' in the transmission tunnel in front of the gear stick. Connect this to the positive (red) terminal of the battery. I did this by soldering one of those circle connector things to the end of the cable. You should really put an in-line fuse here as well.

In the cockpit connect this cable to the + (positive, red) terminal on the ciggy socket. Then solder a (black) cable to the - side of the ciggy socket. This needs to be connect to an earth somewhere. On my car (03 SV) just above the passengers left knee under the dash there is a bolt with a couple of black cables connect to it... either connect the wire to this with another circle connector thingy, or do what I did and use a crimp connect to connect the - wire from the socket to one of the black wires connected straight to this bolt.

easy... physicaly mounting the ciggy socket is the tricky bit. Mine is very badly zipp tied up under the dash.

You should really put an in-line fuse here as well
You MUST install an in-line fuse.

If you have a short-circuit in the future with a direct battery connection and no fuse you are asking for a fire as the cables ignite.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Seconded,

A piece of cake and done for a couple of quid. Red wire from red battery terminal, down bulkhead, through hole, to cockpit under dash. In line fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse in it. Red wire continues to ciggie lighter +'ve terminal. Black wire, in my case from black terminal of battery, same route through to cockpit. Attach to neg on cig lighter. As with Neil, mine is zip tied and lies on the tunnel top between the heater vents, but I must make a dashmount for it.

Honestly easy.

Dave

Dodge Viper Blue with Metalic Silver nose band and stripe

Membership Number 66 😬 😬

People go direct to the battery so that you can still use the conditioner when the battery masterswitch is removed. Not sure if your fuse box position still allows this 🤔 Of course if you do not have / do not remove the master switch then no worries.....

Dave

Dodge Viper Blue with Metalic Silver nose band and stripe

Membership Number 66 😬 😬

Chris W, I should have been clearing.. you MUST have a fuse somewhere.... mine is under the dash.

But I think if I do it again I'd put the fuse at the battery end of the wire running into the engine bay. That way if the wire shorts out between the cockpit and the battery, the fuse would still protect me.

Either way, its easy!