Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Play in rack

paul richards

• Area Representative

I have a slight play in my steering which I will investigate further, but seems to be in the rack. It's very slight. Is there some adjustment?

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Often the column and its' associated bts can loosen up a bit, resulting in play.. check those areas first..

Rack gear mesh is adjustable thru the large adjuster nut on the rack. Loosen the lock nut and screw IN the adjuster.. usually a 1/4 turn is adequate.. then test drive.. then try again :-) .. this a V fussy adjustment. Could also try applying a bit of Grease to the rack.(undo the Gaiters/bellows) and apply little bit to the rack teeth and the back of the rack shaft as well.. a teaspoon of grease, total, is more than enough., more just makes a mess.

Oh,

The old steel ones could work loose on the inboad spherical joints for the track rods, but on the alloy version the fixing has a dowell to prevent this.

To be sure, grab a front wheel and rock it on the steering axis whilst observing the steering wheel position to see if the track rod inner end is loose. You may only have this symptom on one side, but as I say its unlikley on an alloy rack.

The distance between the rack and pinion can be shimmed if both sides are effected - The shims are under the large nut on the top of the rack where the pinion exits.

Fat Arn

Slay the K.

If it is the ally rack , I had a similar issue. I found that I had play when the car was cold but it reduced as it got warme. The issue was that the thrust block is a pretty naff nylon affair (as the rack warmed the block expanded more than the metal and fitted better) and I got the rack re-engineered with a bronze thrust block. Superb now.

May be a different issue, but whilst we are on the subject...

355GTS's VX car, alloy rack. Slight movement/play in the steering, visual check showed that the rack was rotating within the two clamps that hold it to the chassis cross member (in this case the rotation brought the steering column dangerously close to the dry sump oil pump belt) Clamps would not tighten further, so we undid them and added some 'spacers' in the form of a few strips of duct tape on the clamps clamping surface, so that the clamps could now tighten down on something (this was a track day fix!) Obviously this might be considered temporary (although it seems to work fine!) so what is a more permanent fix? Is this common?

'My First Race - SPA' pictures

here

60,000miles in 3years

Hi Battered - yeah, shimming would be a good idea - like I said, it was a quick 10 minute lunch time fix - you certainly can't see the tape though - its all within the clamp, so no probs with MPT (allegedly!)

'My First Race - SPA' pictures

here

60,000miles in 3years

The bronze block mod was done by Dave Brooks (Dave Brooks Engines in Crewe) He did say he cold make it up as a kit that he could post out if anyone else wanted to fit it themselves. Why don't you give him a ring on 01270 661850 and see what he thinks. My rack has a really nice smooht solid play-free feel since he did the work.