Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil flow.. would it be too cold?

Chris K

HI,

I posted in another thread but I guess as it was digressing it might not get a answer...

1700 Pro-Tune XF 150+ ...

If I were to install a oil cooler as per this here (no thermosatic switch, oil always running through cooler) then would the oil take even longer to warm?? on cold days would the oil ever get to running temp?? (cold days = 5'c or less)

Cheers

Chris

I wonder if you can get A021R's with studs?? 😬

Chris,

On my x/flow I use a laminova oil - water cooler. This has the advantage of heating the oil during start-up and on very cold days. Oil temp is pretty consistent at around 90 C.

I would have thought that a permanent radiator style oil cooler, fitted without a thermostat would cool the oil too much.

Hope this helps,

Peter

I thought about a laminova but just fitting it is a bit of a pain... and as I already have a oil cooler just need to get pipes I thought this might be the easiest solution..

cheers all

Chris

I wonder if you can get A021R's with studs?? 😬

Don't think you will "over" cool your oil, give it 5-10 mins to get to your blatting roads and it will be suitably warm even on a cold day.

I have one as described and my oil pressure drops from 5 to 2 bar (which is normal) at idle in 5+ mins. Always get 4+ bar at revs. I don't think it should be any cooler than this (stuck in traffic in summer, I'll see 1 bar at idle - this is too hot)

However the laminova is a better solution. Clearly it will heat up sooner and have a much more stable temperature overall. There was no laminova when I built mine. If I were to spec an installation now I'd put in a laminova unless cost were a big factor for me.

If you install a cooler put it after the rad rather than in front. This will use engine temp to help warm up the oil and still provide an airflow to take the high temps off when working (air temp at speed is nothing like the engine temp).