Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inner tubes in tubeless tyres

Nifty

This subject has come up some time ago but I thought I'd create a new thread.

Having found a pinhole in one of my wheels yesterday I have fitted an innertube into my tubeless tyre (RE720).

I have heard it said that one should not do this...and in fact it is illegal.

Can anyone confirm the legality status and please inform me of the science behind the problems associated with this...if there are any.

Many thanks,

Nifty.

P.S. The tyre with the innertube will be my spare for the time being.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Dunno.. I've put tubes into tubeless tires before.. It's a Bodge, without Doubt..

But it works fine.

Possible issues centre on overheat, but for normal street use and barring multi hour Motorway marathons.. (not very likely inna 7 :-) this should not be an issue.

Never heard the one about the tube leaking :-)..

so what's gonna happen?? Air .. may.. leak into the Tubless tire.:-).

.so no real danger of a sudden deflation.

original steel landrover wheels were designed for tubed tyres, so are not supposed to be an airtight fit with the tyre. lots of people put tubeless tyres on them in various sizes, 7.50*16 et al, which require a tube.

i had bridgestone mud duellers (tubeless type) in that size on lwb rims with tubes for more than 50k miles. the only problem came after maybe two years or so, when i suffered repeated pinprick holes in the tubes, no evidence of tyre damage at all. this became very frustrating until i read somewhere that this can happen in time inside a tubeless tyre. you certainly couldnt tell if the tube had become any thinner. but, forking out for a new set of tubes removed the problem completely.

during repeated visits to tyre centres for repair, noone said that was a bad idea, indeed landrover fit tubeless tyres to these wheels themselves so in this fitment i dont see a prob.

on a 7?? cant see much difference IMHO *smile*