Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Running-in procedure?

patrickassist

I finished my build yesterday after a week of hard work and would like to get some advice regarding the running-in procedure.

I have put in a 140 1.8 K-series.

I was planning a conservative 500 miles under 4000 rpm and then slowly working my way up for the next 500.

What do you think? too much or too little?

Have a look here

I used this method and after 18000 miles in a year of road use no more than a cupfull oil between 6000 mile changes.

I started with GTX and changed it at 20 miles, 500 miles and 1500. Changed to Halfords 5/40 full synthetic at 3000 miles.

There are lots of opinions on this subject and ultimately it's up to the individual which they choose 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

No one right answer (or not that everyone will agree on *smile*)

In terms of oil, I used Halfords Semi-synthetic for 500 miles, then Comma Euro Lite for the next 500.

Got just over 1000 miles up now, and will be changing this week to full synthetic Halfords / Comma.

I used the official MG Rover oil filter for the first change, and have got another for the next one. Leass than £5, so seemed a better bet than a non-official Halfords one.

In terms of revs, kept it under 4000rpm for at least 350 miles, then gradually allowed it up occasionally to 500rpm. After first oil change, gradual increas to 6000rpm. Rev limiter will be tested when the full synthetic goes in 😬 More important not to let the engine labour in too low a gear.

Don't forget that running in covers more than just the engine. Take time to bed brakes in as well. You may also find that the dampers take a while to loosen up fully...

Have fun! Took me a month to get 1000 miles on - need to talk to MSM about my mileage limit soon *eek*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 1000 miles completed!

Patrick firstly congrats on finishing the build...... *smile* As for running in there are basically two methods the thrash it hard in short burst from the start (see tony's link) or following the Caterham guidelines of sub 4000rpm for the first 500miles...... Which is best I have no idea, all I know is that having taken it easy for the first 500 with the most basic Halfords mineral oil to ensure a good bed in, then it being serviced by Caterham and the good stuff (coma i presume) being swapped in having now topped a 1000miles it is purrrring along luuuuvly.....

I couldn't bring myself to do the hard run in process as I didn't have the confidence, but if you want a fast engine then this is supposedly the way to go..... Oh the most important thing it does seem is to ensure the car never overheats, swith off if in any doubt as this can apparently be a contributing factor to future head gasket problems.....

Oh I should state I am far from an expert and only state what I found out asking exactly the same question when I came to run in time.........

Hope that helps...

David

*smile*

Its Built its running and I am on the road having sooooo much fun!!!... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

Fully agree withTony and have advocated the method on here till my fingers hurt:-)))

Start off with mineral oil GTX or similar and only change to synth after at least 1000 miles.

Have built many engines and am firm advocate of hard run in been doing it for 30 yrs,

BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE UP TO TEMP FIRST.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.For my sins

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services N.I.

I'm taking delivery of a new R400 in late May and so am very intersted in this discussion.

Surely Caterham suggest their method after years and years of experience. I looked at the website suggested by Tony and can understand the concept etc. But surely Caterham know best.

Milo

To prove eveyone has a different take on it, I say go for the soft run in procedure.

Sevens don't need power as much as they need proper set-up. This is proven time and time again at race meetings. Spend your time on setup, and after a soft run-in procedure you'll enjoy good lap times for longer *thumbup*

Cake and eat it - nearly *smile*