Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 2.0 Alt and dry sump Belt failure

F355GTS

At Combe this morning having a great time, fastest car there although the serious challenge cars hadn't gone out and disaster struck, noticed falling Oil pressure and switched off immediately, on inspection the Alternator belt had come off and taken the dry sump belt with it ☹️

Hopefully I caught it in time but what is the wisdom on these things, fit another belt, start and see what the oil pressure is? or drop the bottom end and have a look?

Mark

Fairly common occurance for racers. ☹️

Usually the oil is still sticking to the metal surfaces - although mighty thin as a film. If you feel that you really did catch it before losing all oil pressure and nothing was overheating after you switched off then you may be lucky.

I ran 2 laps at Lydden on a Cosworth engine without any scoring [did have an oil additive though]

Trevor

Zetec 187bhp engine for sale here

Has happened to me a couple of times. The Vx seems to be able to survive moments of loss of oil pressure like this. I believe Arnies survived quite a long period of loss of oil pressure. A bonus is that when the dry sump pump goes, all the oil is in the bottom of the engine splashing around.

Fit a oil pressure warning light - the bigger the better, and take spare belts everywhere you go.

I doubt you've done any serious damage.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 2 Apr 2004 13:51:31

Thanks for the advice so far, just been to Caterham to get the belts etc (inc a set of spares for the next time!)

Alex got a big light which comes on at 25psi it just started to flicker when I switched off

Mark

Well there's good news and some bad news, managed ot get it started and the Oil Pressure settled at a nice 55 psi on tickover, the same as it's always done, rises when the throttle is blipped

the bad news is the Alternator went pop!

The whole problem was caused by a poorly spaced and fitted bottom bolt and ultimately the bolt holding the top mount to the block had fallen out!

Mark

I had a similar problem and the bottom lug of the alt sheared on the last race of the day.

Fortunately it kept together and degraded as opposed to flinging the belt off.

Started the race with charge only above 3500, ended the race with no charge at any revs.

The alt shock itself to bits. I won that race *smile*

I found the alt had been assembled under tension not floating on split spigot thingy.

New alt and sorted installation both have been fine.

I have though long and hard about a DS belt warning light since then...

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here