Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Under dash handbrake and sva

pie_boy69

Does anyone know if the old style under dash handbrake will still pass the SVA?

Is this why Caterham changed to the new one?

Or was this just for ease of use.

If it won't pass the SVA what are my options as the chassis that I have has this on, I would like to keep it that way.

You will fail it if you have 4 point harnesses. Caterham have changed the race cars that have a hand brake to tunnel top hand brakes for this very reason. The logic behind it is that you cannot operate the handbrake whilst strapped into a 4 point if it under the dash.

Dino, are you sure that was an SVA reaction?

The old reason for having the handbrake under the dash for the race chassis (like mine) was (allegedly) to allow the tunnel to deform in a side-impact. Someone suggested a while back that the latest race chassis are much stiffer anyway and this reduced the issue to the point where the handbrake could be placed in the conventional position for convenience and commonality of parts etc...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

My understanding for SVA is that the driver must be able to operate the handbrake while strapped in the seat - thus ruling out the under dash type. SVA rules are forever changing, also so much is down to interpretation and the mood of the instructor on the day. *thumbdown*

Roadsport build photo's here

Of course the solution is to put seatbelts in for the SVA, and then replace them with harnesses once the car has got through.

Can't be many cars with under dash handbrakes going through the SVA now.

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*