Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Anti-freeze

prs

OK, I know this has been covered to death but I cannot locate any Comma Xstream Red at the moment but I can get either

Comma Superstream Red 5yr or Comma Coldstream Green 4yr

am I right in thinking that these are OK to use?

Ta Phil

Hi Phil - Unipart Superplus 4 "ready to use" coolant is OK as well. Suggest adding a suitable quantity of water wetter (available from DTweeks/Merlin Motorsport)

SV 52 CAT - moles fly -

Edited by - Mole on 9 Mar 2004 12:31:49

Erm, my coolant is a sort of light-greeney blue (I thought it was more of a blue to start with...)

This was put in by Millwood, so I assume it was the Comma formulation available last year...

How often should I change it - annually? ...and does it sound like Coldstream 4yr to you... (could phone up and ask, but I've already had odd advice from them regarding what brake fluid they put in at the same time...)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Is the dist water bit manufacturer advice or folk wisdom? Distilled water will actually encourage corrosion cf tap water as it has fewer solutes. It's also acidic owing to collection of CO2 from the air. Most antifreezes are formulated around good old tap water and have anticorrosion/scaling packages to suit. I can't imagine manufacturers fill all new cars with dist water plus coolant.

BOSS,

Actually it doesn't matter in practice..as long as your rads. not leaking and you're not forever topping up.

The reason is, as you say anti-corrosion and anti-scalant packages, the latter only coming into play if you're constantly topping up with water. A single fill even with rock-hard Saumur water (or London water, or Northeast) contains such a relatively small amount of hardness salts that it's deposition is of no practical consequence.

Paul

Halfords premium anti freeze in the dark blue container. Dark red turns pink when diluted with tap water. This is the current trendy stuff to use - look out for the words OAT/Basf/Glysantin top stuff. Water wetter can hurt either.

BC

Folks, just a reminder to be careful about using the Red coolant if you don't have an Ali radiator - apparently (acording to Peter Carmichael) it is corrosive to the solder used in copper rads. I put the halfords stuff bob mentions in my old 1400K. 4 months later the car wouldn't heat up. Turns out there was a great lump of solder stuck in the thermostat keeping it open.

Coincidence ? maybe but I'm back on blue now hoping no series damage has been done !