Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driveshaft boots/gaiters

Mike Bees

Mine have split, leaving a very messy greasy mess under most of the back of the car.

I guess my best bet is to get some of the stretchy replace-it-without-dismantling-the-CV-joint type boots, but there seem to be several manufacturers. Anyone got a recommendation?

Mike

I have not seen the stretchy replacement type but have seen the split gaitor kits that you glue to gether. I was not impressed the rubber was very hard and I could only envisage problems sticking the two halves of the gaitor together with all that graphite grease around. I have raplaced several gaitors with the pukka Ford part, its messy and you need a 3 legged pulley drawer to get the tripod joint off the end of the driveshaft and a helper to hold the joint against the spring pressure whilst you swage over the steel shroud. Yuk!

Mike

I used the stretchy type from a company called Rhino based in Bishops Stortford in Herts. Easy to put on using the lube and cone supplied, have only done 1500 miles since but still intact.

They normally only supply bulk orders to garages, but they can be persuaded to supply small quantities. IIRC £20 for the kit and 4 gaitors.

Can't seem to access their website but I'll see if I can find their tel no.

Paul