Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Honda civic type R engine weight

jwyatt

If you're about to do what I think you are then all I can say is *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *cool*

If all else fails, Honda brochures can get quite techy, so worth checking there for a weight.

- How can such a cute looking car sound so ferocious! -

Be aware that the 'Swindon' k20 engines are not as well recieved as the K20's made in Japan.

Dunno why exactly, but there still seems to be a lingering distrust of things British :-)

Tuners in my part of the world prefer the Genuine article, if a Japanese made engine is reasonably available .

I know you are only chasing the weight for the motor, just out of curiosity what gearbox are you thinking of using as I understand that the Honda motors [apart from the s2000] spin in the opposite direction, fitting a 'standard' box would give you a nice choice of gears in reverse.

does the power produced by the S2000 engine (F20C) not outweigh (pardon the pun) the physical weight of the engine?

The F20C throws out 240bhp with a 9000rpm red line with VTEC kicking in at 6000rpm. This engine would be devastating in a 7. It certaily is in project nutter (westy).

The F20C is well recognised as being the finest 2 litre engine in the world.

(I used to have an S2000, awesome car!)

Build Diary

the K20a from Japan has a higher red line and produces more power, but I'm not sure how much of this is down to better fuel (100RON) in Japan and different ECU.

If you have loads of serious techie questions about these engines, I can recommend two people from www.s2ki.com, namely Brian and Nigel (Biker1). These guys know all there is to know about these engines.

Build Diary

Neil - those are chaps I'd use.

As to weight vs power, it seems to me that Caterhams are quite weight-sensitive from a handling standpoint, and I strongly want something that handles and does not just produce big numbers, that is just vanity.

As to engine rotation, the new civics all go the right way around!

Looks like the price to convert to Honda power is about the same as Duratec 220 conversion. The Honda exhaust also exits on the right hand side. I didn't know that.

Weights are going to be comparible within a few kilos. I weighed a Duratec with no flywheel at 87 kilos. With a steel flywheel and clutch it should weigh in at around 95 kilos.

AMMO