Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis

jmb123

Academy cars before and inclusive of 2000 were live axle. There may be some later Classic live axle cars although they too are now de Dion, bought new from Caterham.

Revisions were made to the live axle chassis somewhen between late '94 and late '95. I couldn't tell you what exactly but I've noticed cars built from '96 onwards feature a pedal box cover and some other differences around the engine bay that my '94 live axle car does not have.

I believe the Academy cars feature additional honeycomb protection, standard uprated front suspension (additional top forward wishbone link), standard windscreen, standard FIA bar and standard four point harnesses that the basic Classic car does not have. There will also be some other minor differences.

If anyone knows of anything else (and can shed any more light on the changes made some time around '95) then I too would be very interested to hear.

Peardrop

Graham; assuming you didn't retrofit the pedal box cover, does it have the older pedal bracket or does the cover also serve to locate the pedals, as on de Dion cars. I found in my build manual that I can / could buy a cover to retrofit over my pedal box.

I'm not sure whether the pedal box on later live axle cars was simply a cover over the original bracket (as I can fit to my car) or not *confused*

Peardrop

The cover is a simple piece of bent metal held down by 8 screws. It does not locate any of the pedals, which are located on a bracket (brake/clutch) and a chassis rail (throttle).

Some of the screws locate a brake pipe (the rear top screws and the off-side bottom screws).

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!