Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MSA Blue Book 2004 Head Restraints

bl0498

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric,

Not quite sure what you mean by the 'metal plate head restraint'. Given it is only 3 years old I suspect that if its a metal plate supported by a rear U bolt on the downward tube and another u bolt on an outrigger bar on the side tube then you have the racing head restraint - the plate size being 10cm sq. Send me a picture if you are not sure.

Brian

Trainee Clerk of the Course.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished mine today. I found the best material to cover the 10cm square metal plate with was to cut up a soft foam childs swimming pool float and glue it in place. Worked a treat and will be waterproof. For such a minor change I reckon this whole exercise has cost the thick end of £120 and about 10 hours of labour, admittedly including re-powdercoating my FIA bar , so it had better please the scrutineer 😳

Car is still in the air, Wheels are back on, Suspension loosely attached, heater re-fitted and new home made corner weight scale outfit and tracking gear is at the ready. I guess that means that the new sevening season is nearly here. *thumbup* I'm Itching to turn the ignition key, but it will have to wait a bit longer yet as I'm busy for the next two weeks . ☹️

Edited by - Graham Perry on 7 Mar 2004 19:24:53

• 3 weeks later...

Rob G,

Did mine today and it's a pig *mad*

None of the pre-drilled holes are of any use when used with my Tilletts, so had to line it all up and then try and drill holes through the two steel tubes - this proved to be tricky and the drill press decided instead to make holes where it felt like and nothing then lined up

Some extensive fetling later with a Dremel and it is in place, but by no means straight - the threaded rod from the stabliser bar is bent downwards in order to fit, but it's solid so it will do for me.

I will get a photo shortly and post it up

SteveP

The threaded bar on mine seems to be too short to actually reach the main headrest bar, it's about an inch to short.

I've just looked at the packet for it and it says "steady bar for FIA headrest short" not sure if that means I need the "long" one or not... don't suppose you still have the packaging for your steady bar Steve?

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

For a pic, try here

Yes, I know it's a bit of a hack up, but it works *smile*

The threaded bar on mine was plenty long enough - still have the packaging the garage, will take a look and let you know.

SteveP

Edited by - SteveP on 28 Mar 2004 17:37:10

OK, for the steady bracket, it is labelled as follows:

77848S

STEADY BRKT (77849 H/REST) LONG

38mm CLAMP

and for the restraint itself:

HEAD REST ASSEMBLY FIA ROLLBAR

38mm CLAMP

So Rob, looks like you may have the wrong version of the steady bracket *confused*

SteveP

Cheers for the pic Steve, it looks like the main bit I have is ok but the stabiliser bar I have is much shorter than yours which would be why it doesn't fit

Time for another visit to Caterham 😬

I think mine seemed to line up quite a bit lower down than yours although my main bar doesn't have any predrilled holes in it!

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi all

Well have not started on the head restraint, so far I not even managed to get the taller roll bar to fit. ☹️ Need to talk to CC. Think I post them on techtalk just in case I am missing something *confused*

here

and

here

and

here

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Rob - I syour headrest assembley new, but your FIA bar old 🤔

if so I thinkt hey have changed the design to fit the new caged rollbar vs the old sttyle FIA bar

ICBWIOA

rob *smile*

PS - I am still waiting for mine to be delivered after the second one they sent was also the wrong one *eek*

in which case it MAY be ok if all you had was some pukka roll bar padding between headrest and fia bar, or take of head rest and just use some roll bar padding *confused*

rob *thumbup*

PS is this the threads just for robs...

Edited by - robmar on 30 Mar 2004 09:59:41

Rob(s)

I would suggest you put the roll bar padding on and use the pre 96 S type headrestraint in situ in preference to taking the headrestraint off and just using roll bar padding.

Neither would appear to meet the MSA Q13 regs but I would suggest that with the existing head restraint in situ is closer.

The best solution (the one that does meet the Regs) is clearly to remove the existing head restraint and mount the proper fixed head restraint to the new style FIA bar.

Hope this Helps

Brian (not Rob)

Trainee Clerk of the Course.

Hi all

Well the bars in tomorrow night the head restraint *eek*

Trusting I have more luck that some seem to be having......

Need to take it out first see how its going..... Lydden.. Saturday.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi All

Well I have bench back seats. Taller FIA Bar...

The head restraint needs to be just below the cross bar and partly covering it. That results in the bar on the back of the head restraint is virtually non existent.... That's with it less than 50 mm off my head without foam and without a crash Helmet.

I am very *confused*........

Bit like SteveP picture but higher and the 100mm X 100mm near touching the cross bar.

Going back in the garage to work on OTHER bits of the car..... ☹️

Hi All

Well nothing like a photo the front

here

the rear close up

here

When I fit the U bolt bracket to the back bar there is almost nothing left to bolt through.... where am I going wrong.

Not only that BUT I have a nice sharp U bracket next to my HEAD on the vertical bar... groan.... me think this is silly.... I am better off with more padding on the cross bar.

Would this be acceptable ?

Brian (not Rob)Trainee Clerk of the Course....

Have to say never been this unready the cars sending flames out on the slightest overrun. The new Taller bar does not fit the old Pretty bar.... Proberly can bolt in place but can only see half the bolt together hole. Lost more shiny paint in trying to fit this...